Suggestion for "Country of residence"

• 15 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Having seen a spate of issues on country of residence I suggest the application form is modified slightly:

By default your country of residence should be the country in the address you register on your application.

The form could then prompt with a message

“The country of the address you have registered will be used as your country of residence. You are only allowed to use your pass in this country on any 2 travel days during your pass validity. after activating. to aid outbound and inbound journeys.”

Optional - (You may need to provide further evidence of residency during travel if your Passport/ID is from a different country. This can be any  document with your name and address in your country of residence from a bank or government agency.)

Do you agree to this Y/N .

If No we will use the country of issue of your passport.”

That would solve many issues we constantly read about including removing many of the issues people have with the  confusion between country of citizenship and country of residence, and the issue of Inbound/outbound days.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don't think there should be a default. People should be forced to think about what their country of residence is. You can provide some options (e.g. country of the passport, country of the billing address), but don't fill in a default because that will lead to new problems because there are always people who will just click “next” wherever they can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I don't think there should be a default. People should be forced to think about what their country of residence is. You can provide some options (e.g. country of the passport, country of the billing address), but don't fill in a default because that will lead to new problems because there are always people who will just click “next” wherever they can.

Good idea - keep them coming.

Prevention is better than cure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Anywhere in EUR-except that funny island in which I now sit in a Premier hotel-can do with ID-cards. NO passpt needed and many people do not even have it.

Still I think it is a good idea-at least to add some inbetween step to check if this is really what is wanted. However, I also tend to think (bad mind, always spotting chances on fraud) that quite a few people suddenly decide to change adress when they read what they should have done before that the pass is only valid for 2 days in homecountry-tempting if you happen to live with foreign ID in a large country with very expensive trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Anywhere in EUR-except that funny island in which I now sit in a Premier hotel-can do with ID-cards. NO passpt needed and many people do not even have it.

Still I think it is a good idea-at least to add some inbetween step to check if this is really what is wanted. However, I also tend to think (bad mind, always spotting chances on fraud) that quite a few people suddenly decide to change adress when they read what they should have done before that the pass is only valid for 2 days in homecountry-tempting if you happen to live with foreign ID in a large country with very expensive trains.

But surely that is already the case with the current systems level of trust. Nothing in my suggestion changes those who want to commit fraud - and that is always going to be the case when you offer the option to name your own country of residence. 

Once you have a global pass you are highly unlikely to be challenged by rail staff, and as long as you are travelling on a train with a valid Interrail pass, and show them something with a name and address from your country of residence, all they could do is report you to Interrail for them to take action. They are not police and as long as their code reader says valid……..

I am merely trying to make it better for the majority, especially newbies.