Solved

Travel from Amsterdam - Paris-Lourdes-Munich

• 8 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

We are from India. We will be travelling to Amsterdam (2 adults and 1 kid (7 years old)). We will be taking the train from Amsterdam to Paris / Paris to Lourdes / Lourdes to Munich. We need your advise on which pass to buy and train options? 

Would also appreciate if you could guide us on the seat reservations and how many days in advance do you need to reserve the seats. 

Your help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks - Charmaine Ross 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 8 September 2023, 10:27

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

When are you travelling ? Depending on your travel dates separate tickets may be cheaper than a pass + seat reservations.

Amsterdam - Paris : 32€ reservation (passholder quota so book in advance)

Paris - Lourdes TGV : 10€ limited fare, then 20€.

Lourdes - Munich is a very long journey (12h+) including a station transfer in Paris. If you've got enough time I'd suggest instead to go via Lyon and Switzerland spending a night enroute.

Hi @thibcabe, thank you for your prompt response. We are travelling on 21 September from Amsterdam to Paris / 23 September Paris - Lourdes and 26 September from Amsterdam - Munich. 

What would be the train fare and travel time from Paris to Switzerland? Or even Lyon? Which part of Switzerland are you suggesting?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

At short notice the Eurail Pass will probably be good value. I'd buy the 4 or 5 days Global Pass.

On 21th September there are multiple Thalys trains to Paris left : departures at 06:11, 07:11, 13:11, 15:11, 17:11 and later. 32€ per person

23th September : TGVs from Paris-Montparnasse at 06:37 (10€), 10:11 (20€) and 14:06 (10€).

26th September : timetables can be found on bahn.com or DB Navigator app. It is reliable and covers most of Europe. Lourdes - Lyon - Lausanne could look as follows (updating) :

- IC Lourdes - Toulouse-Matabiau 08:39 - 10:30 1.50€

- IC Toulouse-Matabiau - Montpellier St-Roch 10:45 - 12:54 10€

- TGV Montpellier St-Roch - Lyon Part-Dieu 13:58 - 15:50 10€

- TER Lyon Part-Dieu - Genève 16:38 - 18:35

- IR15 Genève - Lausanne 18:49 - 19:36 or any other train

I recommend Lausanne as a stop but you could go elsewhere too. The next day take the fast route via Zurich or another panoramic route for gorgeous landscapes (don't hesitate to ask me for advice).

To save booking fees (2€ per person per train on eurail.com) I'd suggest using these sites (4€ per order) :

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (Thalys)

https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish (France)