Solved

Travel from Athents to Vienna

• 5 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to travel from Athens to Vienna during the Christmas season along with 3 kids (9,11,13). I don’t understand how the Interail planning system works. I am already stated in Athens what is my first destination, Athens or Vienna? I need to add travel days but I don’t know how much time each trip will take, I need to find this myself? Furthermore even though Greece is included in the pass Hellenic trains say on their site that trips to Sofia are not currently made. If I have a pass do I need to just find trips with seats to book on the days I need to travel? How will I book on the different train company sites without paying them?

icon

Best answer by mcadv 5 October 2022, 14:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you are in Athens you can get by train until Saloniki and from there catch a bus (not included) to Sofia. The train to Saloniki might require a reservation.

From Sofia you can go via Bucharest or Craiova to Budapest/Vienna. The nighttrain from Bucharest requires a reservation. Other doesn’t 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

First the bad news: it is IMpossible to do this whole trip by train on rails-as several legs in between have currently no service.

And IF you decide on train, the former straightforward route via old Yugoslavija- (now Macedonia-Serbije) will not work, you have to go via a big detour-Bulgarija-Romania. It will also, if you decide on this, have you change at least 5 times with 1 sector by local bus (or taxi) in between.

With 3 kids on tow I rather suggest you look for other ways, unless you are a dedicated ´it must be all on trains´ type. Or really also want to visit some of the places en-route.

Interrail is only a trainpass that allows Europeans to use trains OUT of their own country at will-except those which require mandatory REServation or surcharges-that is mostly in West-Europe on those newer hi-speed lines. But what there is not, one cannot use. As local fares in East-EUR are not overly high, using a pass in only these areas may not even save money. But you get the bonus of free travel for the 2 youngest kids, so that may tip the sum again.

First the bad news: it is IMpossible to do this whole trip by train on rails-as several legs in between have currently no service.

And IF you decide on train, the former straightforward route via old Yugoslavija- (now Macedonia-Serbije) will not work, you have to go via a big detour-Bulgarija-Romania. It will also, if you decide on this, have you change at least 5 times with 1 sector by local bus (or taxi) in between.

With 3 kids on tow I rather suggest you look for other ways, unless you are a dedicated ´it must be all on trains´ type. Or really also want to visit some of the places en-route.

Interrail is only a trainpass that allows Europeans to use trains OUT of their own country at will-except those which require mandatory REServation or surcharges-that is mostly in West-Europe on those newer hi-speed lines. But what there is not, one cannot use. As local fares in East-EUR are not overly high, using a pass in only these areas may not even save money. But you get the bonus of free travel for the 2 youngest kids, so that may tip the sum again.

So to get it straight. Having a pass will only give me the option to travel “free” outside of Greece. So lets suppose I find way to be in Sofia. Is it possible to get a train that takes me to next country which is Romania or not? I mean can I use the pass for inter-country trips? If there is a itinerary going straight to Vienna will I have the option to use it?

I am not dedicated to all train but I was thinking it as an option due to high airtickets prices but it now seems it may cost more than flying.

Thank you for answering

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

First, an interrail pass of any type or duration allows the holder 2 days use in your own country. This is optional and comes from your allowance. You can travel in any way you wish on those travel days and you do not need to cross borders, so you could use your pass to get to a ferry port, but the cost of a travel day is likely to be more expensive than local fares.

Second Have you considered a ferry across to Italy - I think there are some discounts available to pass holders. Italy to Vienna is then reasonably straightforward through the alps.

If you decide to use Interrail please post again and the community will happily guide you in how to use the pass.

First, an interrail pass of any type or duration allows the holder 2 days use in your own country. This is optional and comes from your allowance. You can travel in any way you wish on those travel days and you do not need to cross borders, so you could use your pass to get to a ferry port, but the cost of a travel day is likely to be more expensive than local fares.

Second Have you considered a ferry across to Italy - I think there are some discounts available to pass holders. Italy to Vienna is then reasonably straightforward through the alps.

If you decide to use Interrail please post again and the community will happily guide you in how to use the pass.

Thank you for your suggestion. Using a ferry to enter Italy is surely an option , and I would travel to Patra using my vehicle or use the 2 trips allowed in Greece, but even with the suggested discount (~20%) the cost is huge (about 550€). Added to this is the interrail pass for 4 days which is 431€ for 1 adult + 1 kid + 2 free. These prices touch the current air tickets prices.