Skip to main content

Hi, I’m planning an Interrail trip from Austria to France with my 4 children (13, 11, 7 and 6 years old).

Therefore, I’ll have to buy 1 adult and 2 youth passes, am I right? Wouldn’t it be possible, too, to buy 2 adult passes for me and the oldest kid (13), then the others can travel for free? Thanks for your information.

You can get 2 free children passes per adult so you only need to pay 1 adult pass and 1 youth pass. 

Keep in mind that everyone will have to pay seat reservations.

@thibcabe : There’s only me as an adult, so the 2 free children passes cover the 7 and 6 year old ones. There are the 13 and 11 year old still remaining…

The question was if it’s possible to buy another adult pass for the 13 year old to get another free child pass for the 11 year old - that would be cheaper than to buy 2 youth passes for the 13 and 11 y.

Ah yes somehow I thought there were 3 children in total…

I don't think it would be a problem to buy 2 adult passes. Maybe someone else can confirm

Try if you can buy an adult pass (and get a free children's pass) for the oldest child and if that doesn't work you need to contact Customer Support and ask for the best solution. 

Link to Customer Support 

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001

Try if you can buy an adult pass (and get a free children's pass) for the oldest child and if that doesn't work you need to contact Customer Support and ask for the best solution.

There is no age restriction on who can use an adult pass. However, children can only travel for free together with an adult of at least 18 years old.

From the Conditions of Use:

By the way, if you want to buy paper passes, it's cheaper to go to an ÖBB ticket office (no delivery fees).