Solved

Trip from Germany to England with global pass

• 23 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi, I'm new here and just want to confirm I understood the conditions for the global pass correctly :) I am planning a trip starting from Germany. First, I want to travel to London, then to Scotland and then back to Germany.

1)Is it correct that I can use the 4 days within 1 month Global pass for that trip? 

2) how long before the start of my trip do I have to purchase the pass? 

3) when do I have to decide which train I am going to take exactly? 

4) i read that for the Eurostar you additionally have to make a reservation which costs extra. Does that mean you always have to make a reservation when traveling from Germany to London and back or is there any other way or another train that goes from Germany to London, where you do not need a reservation ? 

Thank you so much for your help!! 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 February 2022, 17:26

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. If you can fit your trip into 4 travel days, then the 4 days/1 month pass is fine. For timetables do not use the rail planner app since it does not get enough updates to be reliable. The Deutsche Bahn planner is good for international planning but national planners (such as www.nationalrail.co.uk) are often more reliable.
  2. Before you start your journey. You could even buy the pass minutes before leaving, at a German station (paper version) or from the Interrail website (mobile). Although for the mobile pass, I'd leave at least an hour, so the confirmation mail has time to arrive and there's time to activate the pass in the app. Do keep an eye on offers; there are promotional offers several times a year with 10 or 15% discount; maybe there will be something extra this year because of Interrail’s 50th birthday.
  3. Before you board it. You don’t have to plan if you don't want to and can change any plans on a moment’s notice. Limitations are of course trains with mandatory reservations such as Eurostar, which are often best booked in advance since they can get full.
  4. Eurostar is still the only train between GB and the continent. You need a reservation (30 EUR in 2nd class, 38 in 1st) and the number of pass holder seats is limited. Other options would be ferries, e.g. from Hoek van Holland (with a discount).

Alright, thank you so much ! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am looking at this but in reverse. A cheaper option seems to be to Fly to the destination and get a local x days pass. 

Not great for carbon footprint etc but better for my wallet. 

Maybe a suggestion? 

Safe travel