Solved

Trying to reserve seats on Trenitalia’s Frecciarossa FR 9705 with Eurail Global pass

• 19 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Thank you in advance for a solution to my question.

We have done train travel in many countries with/without passes, but this is my first time booking with Eurail Global pass (Flexi 7 days in one month). So, I must be doing something incredibly stupid. I have always used Trainline app to buy tickets in Spain and Italy earlier.

I have two of the Eurail First class global passes (my wife and I), downloaded the Rail planner app, created two identical trips (one for each of us), connected the passes (not activated as yet), created multiple journeys under the trips. 

I couldn’t figure out how to use the info I stored in the trips/journeys to the Interrail reservation system the app takes you to. So, anyway I created a trip for one of my journeys (Milano central to Vienna Wien). Interrail shows the one transfer thru Venezia Mestre and when I choose that and try to book, it asks me for my “country and city of birth”, and doesn’t ask for my passport details. My country of birth is different from my US citizenship. I was wondering if giving my country of birth will confuse the ticket inspector when I produce my US passport.

So, I tried booking on the OBB app. The reservation fee is much cheaper there and I could select my seats on the Venezia Mestre to Vienna segment. However, for the Milan to Venezia segment, OBB says no reservation is required, whereas Interrail says that I need one.

What should I do? Is Trenitalia reachable on phone to do the reservation or should I contact Interrail (phone?)

Appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks & regards,

Saibal

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 November 2023, 09:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Reservations are totally separate from the app, they'll never appear there. You always have to log the train you'd like to take : this can be done at any time prior to boarding. Whenever asked on the train show both the app (pass) and the PDF (reservation).

About your case : reservations are required on Frecciarossa trains (13€). ÖBB should be able to make them : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

Great idea to go through ÖBB for Venezia Mestre - Vienna ! Reservations are even free for 1st class passholders using the same process as above (add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets). This works in Austria, Germany, Czechia, etc. :) 

However there is a special rule on trains between Italy and Austria : you have to pay a 15€ supplement (10€ in 2nd class) as the owner of the tracks (ÖBB Italia) doesn't accept passes and prefer this money instead... the supplement is included in Eurail reservations on this route but you can always buy it separately on oebb.at or onboard.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Thank you so much for such a quick and resourceful reply. Appreciate that very much 🙏

Thanks to you, I was able to add the pass type under discounts under my profile. However, if I select reservation only, it says no tickets available and doesn’t proceed any further. If I select “one way ticket…” as you suggested, it shows free reservation, but is charging 26 Euros. Is that correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks to you, I was able to add the pass type under discounts under my profile. However, if I select reservation only, it says no tickets available and doesn’t proceed any further. If I select “one way ticket…” as you suggested, it shows free reservation, but is charging 26 Euros. Is that correct?

This is correct. You'll end up with 2 pass reservations in 1st class.

Thank you for your guidance. I was able to complete the booking. Now on to few other bookings….

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad it worked. Feel free to ask other questions :)