Solved

Unsure about the One country pass travel days

Hello there! It is my first time visiting Europe and I am unsure of how the One country pass works.

Would really appreciate if anyone could provide me advice so that I can plan accordingly and buy the right tickets.

My itinerary for Italy is as follow:

1. 15 August: Travelling from Domodossola to Milano Centrale. Then travel from Milano Centrale to Venezia S. Lucia (considered as 1 travel day)
    16 August: Travelling from Venezia S. Lucia to La Spezia (considered as 1 travel day)
    18 August: Travelling from La Spezia to Roma Termini (considered as 1 travel day)
    19 August: Travelling from Roma Termini to Naples Central station (for a day trip to Pompeii). Then travel from Naples Central station back to Roma Termini (considered as 1 travel day)
    20 August: Travelling from Rome Termini to Fiumicino International Airport (considered as 1 travel day)

As long as within the day itself, and within 24hours (ending at midnight), I will be able to take unlimited trains with the One country pass? Therefore, based on the dates above, I should purchase the 5 days pass?

2. During the abovementioned dates, I will be travelling within the city which will likely require me to hop on and off metros within Italy. Thus I would like to check if this One country pass not only includes high speed trains between cities but also for metros within the city itself?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

3. Thirdly, will the journey between Domodossola to Milano Centrale be covered under the One country pass? As I will be travelling from Switzerland and will be purchasing the swiss travel pass. Therefore I am trying to save costs by travelling from Brig to Domodossola (covered under swiss travel pass), and from Domodossola to Milano Centrale.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Jolyn

icon

Best answer by seewulf 5 June 2022, 13:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

A.)

The Journey Rome to Rome Airport are about 14€ means it´s cheaper as a travelday value so i count you need just 4 traveldays + a ticket from Rome to the Airport

b
The Interrailpasses does not include metros,trams,buses or ferries within the Cities :/
c
depending on your journey´s in Switzerland you may buy a Globalpass as this covers your train journey´s in Switzerland and Italy.
Just note in Italy you have to pay on top of the Railpass for reservations about 10€ per Highspeed train you can avoid them by useing regionaltrain services but these will take longer.

You may have a look on the Trenitaliapass instead of OneCountrypass as the Trenitaliapass includes the reservations :) But take not that the Trenitalia pass counts per Train means if you change for example from Domodossola to Venice in Milan the trains you will use 2 trips of the Trenitaliapass :) There are few direct trains from Domodossola to Venice or from Chiasso to Venice. Just note you could take between Domodossola & Locarno the scenic Centovalli Railline with your Swiss Travelpass :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi, smart singy from fine clean city.

You may not gain very much with a pass-check what advance tix would cost-you do not make really long trips and to/fro LaSp (5 earth? that overhyped cinqueterre?) is not hi-speed frecce so lower in cost. But this will mean you tie into fixed dates/timings, but it will release you form the cumbersome REServations as you have them already!

Also likely you come from the Swiss as you mention Domdo: again check what ticket would cost from start in Swiss. OR use the slower regional treni Domo->MIlano, withouyt any need to REServe.

Also DO note that if you decide on pass, make REServ via oebb.at-and not TrenItalia. Lah!