Solved

Used mobile pass number as pass cover number when making reservations through train operator websites

• 14 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have made seat reservations for:

Manchester - London (gwr.com, free, can rebook if needed)

London - Paris, b-europe.com, Eurostar (same day as above journey)

Paris - Strasbourg, b-europe.com, TVG INOUI (although it was €4 booking fee not €2 so not 100% sure I booked it on b-europe.com - might have been sncf-connect.com?! But I can’t see how to make eurail seat reservations on there...)

Strasbourg - Vienna, oebb.at Nightjet

Whenever it asked for pass cover number I entered my mobile pass number (purchased via myinterrail.co.uk) as on b-europe.com it says this is the number in the mobile pass confirmation email.. but I’ve since read this is not a pass cover number and these can be generated here - https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations#/generatePassCoverNumber

Which is not made clear anywhere at all!

Do I need to worry or will this be fine?

Second question… do I need to mark my Manchester - London and London - Paris journeys as outbound journeys in the app?

I have a 3 month continuous pass and believe the eurail pass can be used in the UK so why do I need to mark inbound/outbound journeys?

Also correct me if I’m wrong but I see a lot of stuff about avoiding using “travel days” - but with a continuous pass I don’t think I need to worry about this as I don’t think it really applies to me?

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 14 April 2023, 15:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  1. It’ll be fine, reservations are not connected to a pass anyway. The numbers are never checked. It’s more a way of discouraging potential frauds that only travel with a reservation - while not having a pass or other valid ticket
  2. You are a resident of a country, the UK, in Europe (=/= European Union). So you’ll need Interrail. They limit the use of interrail in your own country, since it’s in use for touristic purposes abroad. Otherwise train travel in your own country with a pass might get more interesting than the local ticket offering, which would cost the railway companies a lot of money.
    Eurail is only available for non-Europeans visiting here.
  1. It’ll be fine, reservations are not connected to a pass anyway. It’s never checked. It’s more a way of discouraging potential frauds that only travel with a reservation - while not having a pass or other valid ticket
  2. You are a resident of a country, the UK, in Europe (=/= European Union). So you’ll need Interrail. They limit the use of interrail in your own country, since it’s in use for touristic purposes abroad. Otherwise train travel in your own country with a pass might get more interesting than the local ticket offering, which would cost the railway companies a lot of money.
    Eurail is only available for non-Europeans visiting here.

Thank you so much! And you are correct - just checked my pass and it is interrail not eurail. I was mixing them up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The 2 days where you can use your pass in your country of residence are automatically managed by the app. It identifies any trains travelled on in your COR and automatically add 1 to its counter. Once the counter reaches 2 it will not add any travel in your COR.

You can travel on as many trains in your COR on those 2 days and there is no monitoring whether you leave or return, only that some or all of your travel on that day was in your COR.

For those with a COR with bordering countries, if you travel through as part of an international journey, even without leaving the train, it will register as one of the days (e.g. An Austrian resident travelling from Italy to Germany via the Brenner Pass passes through Austrian stations.)