Solved

Using outbound trip after day one with travel passes

Hi everyone,

I bought the 2-month continuous pass thinking that I could use it to leave my country of residence, Germany, multiple times for the duration, but from the looks of it, I can only use two trips - one outbound and one inbound. This is incredibly disappointing (and for sure will not purchase the pass again) and this now raises a question: can I use the outbound trip in the middle of my 2-month period? Here’s why.

I plan on going to different countries throughout this period. I’m currently planning on going to Belgium from Cologne in a couple of weeks, but I’m also planning a trip to Scandinavia from Munich. I would like to save my outbound trip for the one to Denmark from Munich since it’s much more expensive, but I would also like to activate my pass when I’m in Belgium so I can use it to travel in between cities there. Is this actually allowed?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by mcadv 29 May 2022, 14:56

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

yes, no problem. I´ve done that multiple times. The app just counts if a stop you feed is In DE or not.

NOW the nasty trick: DB will not sell you -or certainly not with ease- a local ticket till BORDER tariff point-and on the direct ICE in fact these tickets do not even exist anymore, AFAIK.

If you use the 9€ it will only be valid til Aachen and you have to buy ticket (if using local train) from BE machine in main hall to Welkenraedt (about 3€ I think). IF you insist on the direct white ICE its best to cough up for a supersparpreis till Liege.

I see, thanks! Yeah, I am thinking about using the 9-Euro-Ticket to go to Aachen and then buy the ICE to Brussels, buuuut I may just pay for the ICE from Köln directly just for convenience :p

We need an extra outbound day to go from Gothenburg to Narvik. We are leaving Gothenburg at 17.24 at the 23 of July and will arrive in Narvik at 17.42 at 24 of July. We have to change train in Stockholm and Boden. How do we do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We need an extra outbound day to go from Gothenburg to Narvik. We are leaving Gothenburg at 17.24 at the 23 of July and will arrive in Narvik at 17.42 at 24 of July. We have to change train in Stockholm and Boden. How do we do?

You can use both the outbound and the inbound journey for that, but then you will have to buy a normal ticket for your journey back to Sweden at the end of your travel 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Check fares-I guess Boden-Riksgränsen or Narbik might be cheaper as all the way across SE coming back. OR come back via NO-then Oslo-Götenborg train-or bus=likely cheaper