Solved

Using the France one country pass to travel from France to Italy

• 18 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi, 

if i have a France one country pass and choose to go to Florence, can i only pay the portion of the trip that is within Italy (because the pass covers the french portion)? Or would that not be allowed? Is it possible to see what the split would be if I wanted to travel from Lyon to Florence?

Thanks

Roger

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 June 2023, 07:31

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The one-country pass is valid on the TGV until Torino Porta Susa or Milano Porta Garibaldi. The former has easier connections to Florence, otherwise you may have to transfer at Milan (subway/walk).

Remember that you have to pay a 30€ seat reservation for the cross-border TGV (so an advance ticket on the direct Frecciarossa may be cheaper, do check).

You can't take the direct Frecciarossa to Milan (not included whether you have a global pass or a one-country).

Your itinerary will be :

- TER Lyon Part-Dieu - Chambéry

- TGV Chambéry - Turin/Milan

- Frecciarossa Turin/Milan - Florence own ticket

Hey, 

are there any other such connections that are covered by a France One Country Pass (like, for example traveling from Nice To Ventimiglia on a french TER)?

Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It is really hidden on the website but here's what you're looking for : 

Train stations of bordering countries

An Interrail Pass valid in France covers travel to some train stations of bordering countries:

• Basel (Switzerland)

• Geneva (Switzerland)

• Portbou (Spain)

• Ventimiglia (Italy)

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/trains-country/trains-france#tabs-da0dadc90f-item-e60edbc8d3-tab (under high-speed trains)

The one-country pass is valid on the TGV until Torino Porta Susa or Milano Porta Garibaldi. The former has easier connections to Florence, otherwise you may have to transfer at Milan (subway/walk).

Remember that you have to pay a 30€ seat reservation for the cross-border TGV (so an advance ticket on the direct Frecciarossa may be cheaper, do check).

You can't take the direct Frecciarossa to Milan (not included whether you have a global pass or a one-country).

Your itinerary will be :

- TER Lyon Part-Dieu - Chambéry

- TGV Chambéry - Turin/Milan

- Frecciarossa Turin/Milan - Florence own ticket

Hi thibcabe, are you 100% sure that one can also travel to Milano Porta Garibaldi only having a One Country Pass valid for France? I’m contemplating using this TGV service and I’d like to be 100% sure. Did you already travel yourself using only a One Country Pass for France?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

are you 100% sure that one can also travel to Milano Porta Garibaldi only having a One Country Pass valid for France? I’m contemplating using this TGV service and I’d like to be 100% sure.

Belgian railways also sell reservations for this train (but not online) and publish their conditions online.  They say: 

Beneficiary

Adults in possession of a valid Eurail or Interrail pass validated for the day of the journey, covering at least the French part of the journey.

See:
https://public-pf.b-europe.com/en/Producten/Details?id=cb2dc856-d565-417e-bcfd-2e8ab7132f73

They don't make that up, SNCF must have told them.