Solved

When on the train in France do I just show the pass and reservation receipt?

• 30 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Dear travellers,

I am travelling through France next September. I found the eurail or europe interail might be a good option. I know I have to pay extra for seat reservations, no problem. Many years ago when I was on the classic interail (aged 20) I used only the cheapest trains, not to pay for extras. but now, I am looking for comfort associated with possible discounts. My question is:

when boarding a train in France with the adequate eurail pass (I am planning for the 5-day travel in 1 month option), if the seat is reserved and paid for (the extra for reservation), do I show my pass and reservation receipt? That’s all? Am I subject to any other ticket besides the pass I have already paid for, and the extra reservation also paid for?

When I travelled back when, I just had to show my interail pass. Nothing more. is it the same now?

Many thanks, Merci, Danke, Obrigado, Grazie,

Paula

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 30 April 2022, 22:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

when boarding a train in France with the adequate eurail pass (I am planning for the 5-day travel in 1 month option), if the seat is reserved and paid for (the extra for reservation), do I show my pass and reservation receipt? That’s all? Am I subject to any other ticket besides the pass I have already paid for, and the extra reservation also paid for?

When I travelled back when, I just had to show my interail pass. Nothing more. is it the same now?

Nothing much has changed. You need to show the pass and, if mandatory, a reservation.

If you have a mobile pass, you still need to add a journey to My Trip and then to My Pass, which wil also activate a travel day if needed.

If you have a paper pass, you still have to enter every train in the travel diary (now renamed to My Trip) and enter a travel day if you have a flexipass. You can also record your journeys in the app instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seems you are from Portugal? In THAT case-you cannot use EUrail=is for non-Europeans, but Interrail. Thsi includes a trip In your own country to/fro border or airport. But If you only travel in FR and fly to there-use a 1country pass

IF you also want to do the whole way by comboio: you have  thus to pass ESpana and this often leads to frustration-as all trains there must also be reserved and the connection is rather roundabout via Barcelona.

For TGV trains it is now usually so that there is enrty check (pass gate with REServation-QR-code) and then no checks anymore. Except if you board midway.

Many thanks dear mcadv,

I am indeed flying from Portugal to Paris. So I am going to buy a French country pass, SNCF then. I may have to install an app from SNCF then. Will search for that.

Many thanks!!