Which pass to select Swiss pass or EU rail pass

• 16 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I am travelling to Switzerland and Paris during my Europe trip with family. 

I will be in Switzerland for 8 days and 2 days in paris. During my switzerland stay I would be visiting Mt. Titlis, Tow of Europe, enjoy Glacier Express (reservations done already). visit Montreux )Golden Pass - chocolate train).

After switzerland would travel to Paris by train. Considering my extensive train travel, I would like to know which rail PASS I should go for. Is it Swiss pass or EU Rail pass?

Can someone suggest me which would turn out cheaper for me. We are three people travelling. (2 Adults and one youth-15 yr old). 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need to do the calculation yourself but the Swiss pass is free for children under 16 whereas the Eurail pass is free for children under 12. 

If you would make the reservation of tickets to Paris from the Swiss border well in advance my guess is that the Swiss pass is better, but as I said, you need to do the maths.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Be aware that Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe are not included in any pass, you only get 50% discount (still 100 CHF for Jungfraujoch).

A Swiss Travel Pass is surely worth it as it gives you the discount to both peaks.

I'd buy the Swiss Travel Pass + cheap tickets between Paris and the border station (Geneva, Lausanne or Basel) on sncf-connect.com. They can be very cheap (from 29€) when bought a long time in advance.

Let me know if you've got any questions

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Be aware that Mount Titlis and Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe are not included in any pass, you only get 50% discount (still 100 CHF for Jungfraujoch).

Only 25%, even for the Swiss Travel Pass:

https://cdn-doc.myswissalps.com/docs/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelpass.pdf

Maybe the discount was higher previously.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it's only 25% discount, my bad... Either it was 50% once or I thought it was like Gornergrat and Pilatus (50% discount).

As far as I could see it is 146 CHF (spring price) per adult with the Swiss Travel Pass.

As the tickets won't be more expensive, I wouldn't buy them and depending on the weather go to Schilthorn instead (way cheaper, about 46 CHF)

Your child will travel for free everywhere as long as they have a Junior Card.