Meet the community | Introduce yourself!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 874 replies

Hi, newbies! We are ​​​​​super excited to have you here with us! :raised_hands:

With many new members, with an interest for European train travel, joining the forum, we think it’s important to create a space for you to share a little more about yourself.

Maybe you are new to the community or haven’t had a change to say hello! Either way, we can't wait to get to know you and your aspirations.

So, let's all introduce ourselves  
:point_right_tone1:

What's your name? Where do you come from? What are you passionate about? What do you love about train travel and Europe? 

Of course feel free to add anything more. You can share your favorite vacation spot, favorite book, place on your bucket list, picture of your pet, etc. Anything you’d like to share!

-- If you happen to see anyone who is new to the community feel free to share this thread with them!

142 replies

Badge

Hi there!

My name is Ruben and I live in the Netherlands. I’ve made 2 Interrail trips before with my girlfriend (now my wife) :

Summer 2014:
Utrecht - Kopenhagen - Oslo - Stockholm - Berlin - Prague - Vienna- Budapest -Bucharest - Istanbul - Zagreb - Split - Venice - Milan - Marseille - Barcelona - Madrid - Lisbon

Summer 2015:
Düsseldorf - Warsaw - Krakau - Bratislava - Sofia - Rome - Palermo / Sicily - Cagliari / Sardinia - Various smaller towns on Corsica - Zürich - Arnhem 

In 2017 our son Pep was born, and this year -after various international cycling holidays combined with train trips- we’re taking him Interrailing for the first time! We wanted to start with a ‘light’ version and bought One Country Passes Spain, after which we discovered that reserving at Renfe isn’t really that ‘light’ anymore in the year 2022… Fortunately, this community has already proven itself very helpful, appreciate it!

Cheers, Ruben

Hi all

My name is Yvonne, and out of some kind of joke travelled within one day from my home town in Switzerland all the way to Edinburgh. Since then we are some kind of hooked on to traveling longer distances by train. Our next trip will us bring back to Scotland, with a visit to Speyside and hopefully Orkney. And by end of year, we will be heading to northern Germany for another trip. 

If anybody needs advise for travelling in Switzerland, I am always happy to help. Also to share about our trip with TGV and Eurostar. 

Safe travels!

Yvonne

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello fellow railtrotters!

My name is Brendan, living in Ghent, Belgium. If you haven’t visited it yet, please to. It has a lot more to offer than Bruges ;)

I started interrailing in 2016, when I did a Scandinavia trip with my best friends. Since then I discovered the joys and comfort of long-distance train travel and me and my friends are completely hooked to it. Every year I did at least a trip since then.

Slowly but gradually convincing (and helping) everyone that wants to try it, to discover Europe by rail. It’s a much more relaxed way of trotting around, provinding ideal combinations between cultural city trips and outies in nature.

Professionally, I work in the spatial planning department of the goverment, trying to make our patch of earth a bit more sustainable. I was also active in an organisation promoting sustainable travel. In spare time, I like hiking, biking and swimming and travelling by train.

Any questions about hidden gems in Belgium, shoot. Happy to help you!

All the best,

Brendan

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello all,

I’m Dheeraj, 27 yrs old from India and currently living in Italy. I love travelling a lot and meeting new people from different cultures.

I am very fortunate enough to live in five countries (India, U.A.E, The UK, Spain and Italy). 

As I’ve got a few months of visa left and I am planning to do Interrail to Prague (The city which is always on my bucket list) and maybe visit my friend in Poland whom I met during Erasmus in Spain. 

I am very much into exploring old towns and buildings. Currently planning a budget Interrail trip and feel free to provide me with any suggestions on travelling from Rome to the Czech Republic or nearby countries. 

Hello! Nice to meet you all!

I’m in my gap year and started the interrail adventure 4 days ago!

Left from France, currently in Netherlands, heading to Greece. 

I would be really happy to meet new people on the way and i’m quite flexible on countries I’ll visit so let’s make plans together!

I already met people with this really nice website for interrailers: https://www.inntouch.fr/ 

See you around! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello! Nice to meet you all!

I’m in my gap year and started the interrail adventure 4 days ago!

Left from France, currently in Netherlands, heading to Greece. 

I would be really happy to meet new people on the way and i’m quite flexible on countries I’ll visit so let’s make plans together!

I already met people with this really nice website for interrailers: https://www.inntouch.fr/ 

See you around! 

Hello, never heard of the website Inntouch and thank you for sharing it. Hope you having a great Interrailing adventure.

Hello from London! I’m a UK based father of two, using Interrail for the first time in 2022 to travel in Germany. We want to avoid flying and make the most of the opportunity to see a bit more by travelling more slowly.

My name is Brendan, living in Ghent, Belgium. If you haven’t visited it yet, please to. It has a lot more to offer than Bruges ;)

I started interrailing in 2016, when I did a Scandinavia trip with my best friends. Since then I discovered the joys and comfort of long-distance train travel and me and my friends are completely hooked to it. Every year I did at least a trip since then.

Slowly but gradually convincing (and helping) everyone that wants to try it, to discover Europe by rail. It’s a much more relaxed way of trotting around, provinding ideal combinations between cultural city trips and outies in nature.

Professionally, I work in the spatial planning department of the goverment, trying to make our patch of earth a bit more sustainable. I was also active in an organisation promoting sustainable travel. In spare time, I like hiking, biking and swimming and travelling by train.

All the best,

Brendan

Hi Brendan, fully agree that Gent (Ghent) has more to offer than Brugge (Bruges). gent is much more of a real place and I have enjoyed my visits there. I lived in Belgium for quite a while, mainly living and working in Brussels. 

All the best,

Brendan

Hi Brendan, agree about Gent, a real city that’s well worth a visit? Your job sounds excellent. A Belgian gem for me is De Haan. 

Let me kick this off! 

My name is Nanja and I am the Online Community Manager at Eurail. Happy to be here with you and have a chance to create this space for all Eurail and Interrail users (to be), to connect, exchange inspiration and share knowledge with each other 🌍.

I am from the Netherlands and passionate about – yes, no real surprise there – travelling. I especially love to dip into the culture of places around the world and learn and bring home new recipes to enrich my cooking skills 🍴 which is another great passion of mine!  One of my favorite places is Sweden because of its scenic nature and freedom to roam 🌱. In my free time you can also find me looking for inspiration on interior design

This feeling of freedom, with the ever-changing scenic views passing by is what got me to love train travel. The ease of meeting new people and broaden my horizon add to this.

Enough about me, the stage is yours now! 🎤

Hi, I’m John and this will be my first Inter-rail experience. NB: That sounds a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous. 

Anyway, I was 25 when Inter-railing started so I’m a little late. I’m from Manchester (UK) but I left there in 1972, and have lived in Belgium, Luxembourg and now Italy. I’ve travelled quite a bit, especially in Eastern Europe and in Italy. For my first inter-rail - there will be more - I have decided to head to Scotland, to the far North, to Orkney, and maybe the Shetlands. I don’t know Scotland at all. I’ll also drop into the Netherlands, Belgium and France. 

All you folks with experience, what is your one piece of advice you woud give me?

Cheers

John

Hello,My name is João and Im portuguese.I have already visited some countries but without experience in train travel. 
  I like to know new things, new people, new cultures, new worlds. In love with food. I'm happy with little things.
Badge +5

Hi everyone. I live in England but have been using European trains from over 40 years! My wife and I have travelled in nearly every European country. Our next trip is to Norway - by train of course and then its off to Italy and finally an overland to Bucharest and Istanbul and then into Turkey in Asia. Happy to help novice travellers. 

Let me kick this off! 

My name is Nanja and I am the Online Community Manager at Eurail. Happy to be here with you and have a chance to create this space for all Eurail and Interrail users (to be), to connect, exchange inspiration and share knowledge with each other 🌍.

I am from the Netherlands and passionate about – yes, no real surprise there – travelling. I especially love to dip into the culture of places around the world and learn and bring home new recipes to enrich my cooking skills 🍴 which is another great passion of mine!  One of my favorite places is Sweden because of its scenic nature and freedom to roam 🌱. In my free time you can also find me looking for inspiration on interior design

This feeling of freedom, with the ever-changing scenic views passing by is what got me to love train travel. The ease of meeting new people and broaden my horizon add to this.

Enough about me, the stage is yours now! 🎤

Hello Nanja,

My name is Jessica Cubas, I’m from Perú. I’m going to Europe on September. I’ve already bought a Euro Global Pass on First Class for two people. I’m want to do my reservations but I don't know how to do it? thanks

Hello all People folks!

My name is Ville, I am environmentalist minded electronic music enthusiast based inTurku, Finland, - I managed to get a hold of Interrail's 50 years anniversary travel pass for 2 months, and I’ve been traveling for bit more than two weeks now. :) 

What I hope from this journey, is -first and foremost- to meet people after such a long time, get to know new people, and visit friends & friends of friends across Europe. 

My other interests would be meeting up with grass roots environmental activists, alternative communities, artists, environmental/sustainability minded people academic or not, burner-community, etc.

I’d also be happy to meet up with small local underground electronic music organizations like TYEMYY (Turku based community),  Dj's, clubs, event organizers, producers etc. to hook up and, if possible, I'll happy to play Dj-sets as well. I am prepared to play anything from techno, house, 90-trance, to ambient and chill out stuff. I don't mean this so much as a super professional thing, but rather more along the lines of rave community, Peace Love Unity Respect kind of thing - again to meet up with people and get inspired together- but yes also to, who knows, to plan possible bookings to play in Turku underground and vice versa, too. 🙂 I've played sets for dance floors 10 years now, but mainly in Turku, so I'm happy to take this also as a spontaneous 10 years adventure tour, too

So if you want to share tips on local electronic music communities or share similar interests, feel free to PM me :) 

All these are possibilities - but the trip is also just for chilling and seeing new things, hopefully dancing to some good music and enjoying a discussion and cold drink with friends - new or old. 🙂

Ps. I am currently in Leipzig and probably heading next to Dresden, Prague, Budapest … still got 6 weeks left on my pass, still a lot of opportunities for spontaneous travel plans! :)

Posing in woodsy environment of Turku, Finland

Hello,

I travel by train often but it’s gonna be my first official interrail from 16th august to 30th august 2022. 

Starting to Paris to Amsterdam then heading south to Croatia. 100% flexible.

Before that, I traveled in Europe, Australia, Japan and South Asia. Love to exchange good vibes with other travelers and go on adventures. 

Also, I just finished this new website (webapp) to find other interrailers easily in real-time: https://www.inntouch.fr

Looking forward to see you so we can meet-up!

PS: Dear eurail/interrail team, feel free to delete this post if it’s not welcomed. Please keep in mind I created this as a side project and won’t gain money with it, just trying to improve the interrail experience and come back home with lifetime memories. Thank you 

Hi, I'm Jill...a 50 something Chartered Surveyor based in Cambridge (UK). Off interailing with my partner in Sept 22...my third time! The first 2 were in the late 80's... highlights being seeing Pink Floyd playing in Venice...the night boat crossing to Greece...Corinth...beach parties in the south of France...and the many travellers I met / travelled with along the way 

Booked first class this time...looking forward to a bit of luxury...hotels instead of camping and sleeping on trains! 

Got a loop planned taking in some new places and returning to some old... counting the days!

Hi my name is Giovanni, am from a little island in the caribbean named Puerto Rico. I’m 58. I like to travel with my wife, friends and family and learn about other cultures. Previously I have traveled to Spain, Italy and France. I really enjoyed traveling by train in Spain and Italy. We are planning to travel to Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic next May. I hope to learn from you how to make the most of the trip.

Thanks

Userlevel 1

Hello Fellow Travelers.

My wife and I are 65 years old, retired, and live in Houston, Texas, USA. We haven’t traveled very much but we are excited to make up for lost time. We wetted our appetites by traveling to Ireland and Italy recently. 

Since we’re retired we have flexibility around when and how long we take trips. We’re planning on traveling by rail around Europe in May 2023 for the entire month. Other than those details we’re wide open to suggestions regarding where to visit and things to consider. 

We’re delighted we found this forum and we are looking forward to learning from each other and sharing suggestions and experiences. 

Happy travels!

Jim

Hi all! 

From Ireland here. We are currently planning to do some travelling in June 2023 -  never done interrailing before. Here for some advice, tips, trick and suggestions. 

Greetings fellow adventurers. I have joined this group in the hope of connecting with fellow enthusiasts and to ask/answer questions related to Interrail.

My name is Liam and I live in Glasgow, Scotland.

In 2019, I travelled from Krakow, Poland to Ljubljana, Slovenia using the Global Pass: 5 days in 1 month Interrail Pass.

In 2023, I hope to travel to Bucharest, Romania to Brasov, Romania and Tallinn, Estonia to Riga, Latvia.

I have featured in a couple of Interrail’s Instagram posts.

Hi, I’m Heidi from Finland and planning my first Interrail. I’ll be travelling for 6 weeks, end of March - beginning of May. I have 15 travel days in 2moths pass. I’ll start from UK, Scotland… Easter in Spain. Rest of it is open. I would love to get good tips and inspiration here. While travelling I would like to meet new people, learn about their culture, speak more English and get more comfortable with speaking. 

Hi, I’m Heidi from Finland and planning my first Interrail. I’ll be travelling for 6 weeks, end of March - beginning of May. I have 15 travel days in 2moths pass. I’ll start from UK, Scotland… Easter in Spain. Rest of it is open. I would love to get good tips and inspiration here. While travelling I would like to meet new people, learn about their culture, speak more English and get more comfortable with speaking. 

Hi, Heidi. Your proposed adventure sounds amazing. I would be happy to provide some advice on places worth exploring in Scotland. In the interim, if you have any questions regarding Scotland, please don’t hesitate to ask me.

Thank you for the kind welcome to the Eurail community!  We are Scott and Lisa embarking on travel after raising our 3 sons. I first became inspired to travel from a young age visiting my French grandparents.  In my teens and into my twenties I backpacked through Europe using a Eurail pass in the early and mid 80’s.  Loved train travel- ease of exploration, beautiful scenery, meeting fellow hostel users and locals and discovering new places.  My husband has never been to Europe nor experienced train travel, so very excited to share it all with him.  France and Switzerland are our first trip’s destinations.  
I am feeling a bit nervous planning the trip, so reading the posts from this community is giving me a renewed can-do spirit!  Thank you!

Hi, I’m Annika. I’m from Heidelberg, Germany and have always loved travelling, especially to France. Although both my parents are German, I am definitely half French at heart. This year my husband and I are travelling to the south of France for the first time by Interrail with our children.

We are going to Marseillan Plage and are hoping to discover a region we both don’t know yet. Looking forward to meet other travellers here!

Hey everyone my names Tom and I’m from the UK. I am passionate about boxing, helping others, learning, food and spending time with friends and family. What I am looking forward to the most is the adventure that I am going to have on the three months of travelling I am going on! 

I am on a 3 month global pass starting on the 17th of March. But I am first flying from the UK to Israel for a week or two, and then getting myself from Israel to Turkey, where my pass will then be turned on! 
I am travelling solo and always up for a beer👍🏽

Hi my name is Patty, I am in my 60’s and will be traveling with my older sister throughout Poland for 3 weeks in August.  I have previously used trains in London and around Denmark and into Sweden but have not used the Eurail pass system.  We quickly purchased Poland Eurail passes on a Promo at the beginning of the year and while I know it is a cost savings I’m now finding all of the information a little daunting. I’m glad that I started researching early to try and make this trip as stress free as possible. It doesn’t help that my sister is technologically challenged. 😐  I too am trying to decide if it will be best to just keep both passes on my phone.  I appreciate communities like this that can help answer questions. 

Patty