Brussels to Italy, via Germany and Switzerland. Advice more than welcome!

Show first post

52 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@rvdborgt

If I'm correct, there is no mandatory reservation for all trains for the proposed journey, right?

Thank you very very much to answer all my questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

1/
Why does the SBB travel planner not show the train at 16u02 pm departing from Lugano in August ?
Is that because not all travel times have been communicated from Italy yet?

Yes, that's the reason. Regional timetables from 12 June in Italy have not been published yet. 

2/
Would the SBB travel planner show a connection via Bern and Brig on August 26, because the 16:02 train from Lugano to Milan is not (yet) available?

Probably.

3/

Is it easy to get from Milan Central to Milan Porta Garibaldi?

It's 2 metro stops. You can also walk if you have time, it's about 1.8 km.

Or better to go directly from Lugano or Chiasso, to Milan Porta Garibaldi?

That's also an option. You can change in Monza, from where there are many suburban trains to Porta Garibaldi

4/

Would the hours still change in the months of August / September, on Saturday, compared to the hours currently available for the months of April and May?

For example, on May 14 and May 21, Saturday, I find the same hours as shown in my post.

There's always a chance something might change, primarily because of engineering works. But if you're not travelling until the end of August, I'd wait until Trenitalia have published their summer timetable and then verify before booking any trains.