Solved

Support for planning my trip

• 17 February 2024
  • 17 replies

Badge

Hi I am Francesco and i would like this summer to make a trip with inter rail and going from Italy to Finland

Rome->Geneve->Lyon->Paris->Luxemburg->Bruxelles->Bruges->Amsterdam->Hamburg->Copenaghen->Stokholm->Turku

I will come back by airplane.

I have some questions:

1. Rome Geneve: I should take first a train to milan and then a train from geneve, are they both included in the global pass ticket?
  2. Did i understand right that i should pay an extra for fast train ?
  3. is Stokholm - Turku ferries included?
  4. What kind of pass would you suggest for this kind of trip? i was thinking continuos pass 22 days or maybe it is better take the flexible 7 days pass and pay some  trip with normal tickets

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 February 2024, 11:54

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seat reservations indeed cost extra on fast/high-speed trains depending on the country and company. Have a look at : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Ferries like Stockholm - Turku are not included but you get a discount. Here you go for Viking Line : https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/viking-line/

It's up to you which pass you might need. Make some calculations. It might not make sense to use the pass on short days such as Brussels - Bruges for example.

2 extra things :

Paris is hosting the Olympics this summer. Expect crazy prices, extra crowds and probably security measures.

Also note that the Milan - Domodossola railway (towards Geneva) will be closed from 9th June to 8th September due to works. There will be rail replacement buses running, taking 1h-1h30 longer than usual. Possible to take a different route : via Locarno for example.

Badge

thanks a lot for the reply.

You didn’t answer the question if all the route from Rome to Geneve is included, becausei  read that you can use the pass only for one train to exit from your native countr. From Rome to Geneve you must take at least two trains.

About Paris i know but we would like to see the olympic games so we go there

You didn’t answer the question if all the route from Rome to Geneve is included, becausei  read that you can use the pass only for one train to exit from your native countr. From Rome to Geneve you must take at least two trains.

That’s not correct. You may use a global pass just for one day to exit your country of residence (not for one train). During this day, you may take as many trains as you like.

So it’s no problem to go from Roma to Genf if you do get to the italian border in a day. 

Badge

thanks a lot :)

The ferry from Stokholm to Tallin is included?

thanks a lot :)

The ferry from Stokholm to Tallin is included?

No, unfortunately it isn't. You do just get a discount with Tallink Silja.

Badge

Which site do you suggest for checking the train table?

I tried omio and trainline, but they don’t look very good

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

DB Navigator app is reliable : tools of the German railways connected to the European database. Summer timetables are not published in some countries yet, Italy and France for starters.

France should be available on 7th March, Italy around Easter maybe.

Avoid Omio and Trainline for sure.

Badge

Thanks so much. Google map is affordable?

Now there is a special offer (15%) Is it something that happens often? I should go with inter rail at the end of july. Can I wait for a next offer or it is convenient buying now?

I was thinking to buy a flexible one with 10 days for my itinerary that in the meantime it became like this

Notti    Partenza    Arrivo    ore treno
1    Roma    Berna    9
1    Berna    Ginevra    2
1    Ginevra    Lione    2
3    Lione    Parigi    2
1    Parigi    Lussemburgo    2
0    Lussemburgo    Liegi    2
1    Liegi    Bruxelles    1
1    Bruxelles    Bruges    1
2    Bruges    Amsterdam    3
1    Amsterdam    Amburgo    5
2    Amburgo    Copenaghen    4,5
2    Copenaghen    Stoccolma    5
1    Stoccolma    umea    7
1    Umea    Lulea    4
0    Lulea    Kemi    4

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you're thinking about travelling this summer, then now is the time to buy a pass. Based on previous experiences, it's unlikely there will be another offer before Autumn.

If I understand correctly though, your plan involves 13 travel days, so if you want to use a 10-day flexipass, then you need to check which 3 days will be cheapest with regular tickets.

Badge

If you're thinking about travelling this summer, then now is the time to buy a pass. Based on previous experiences, it's unlikely there will be another offer before Autumn.

If I understand correctly though, your plan involves 13 travel days, so if you want to use a 10-day flexipass, then you need to check which 3 days will be cheapest with regular tickets.

Exactly in 3 days i will use regular tickets, for exampla from Luxemburg to Bruxelles i can also go by bus.

do you thinks is a reasonable choice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Luxembourg - Brussels - Bruges will be the cheapest days yes. Better to book cheap train tickets rather than buses. There are very good youth prices too!

Also note that the Milan - Bern journey won't be as straightforward as it is now due to the works I mentioned above. To avoid the buses you could go via Locarno or via Lucerne -> both pretty scenic journeys!

If you can afford an extra night in Switzerland (maybe 2 in Bern instead of the one in Geneva) I'd take the opportunity to use a pass day for boats on Lake Thun and Brienz. Fully included and a cool experience! :)

Lyon isn't worth 3 nights in my opinion. I'd add it elsewhere, for example in Amsterdam. You could also stay in Utrecht, less expensive and well connected to Amsterdam and the rest of the Netherlands!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Exactly in 3 days i will use regular tickets, for exampla from Luxemburg to Bruxelles i can also go by bus.

do you thinks is a reasonable choice?

Sure. Luxembourg-Brussels can be done quite cheap if you're under 26: a regular ticket Luxembourg-Arlon (€2.80) and a Youth ticket Arlon-Brussels (€7.50). Similar via Gouvy €2.50 + 7.50.

Badge

thanks for the tips, the night in lyon is 1, paris is 3

The arrival town is the town where i spend the night. My son wanted to go to Geneve and visit the CERN

With my itinerary, would you make the same choise of a flexible 10 day ticket?

Badge

If you can afford an extra night in Switzerland (maybe 2 in Bern instead of the one in Geneva) I'd take the opportunity to use a pass day for boats on Lake Thun and Brienz. Fully included and a cool experience! :)

pls explain me better you suggest to take Train from Milan to Lucern and then from Lucerne to Brienz

In Brienz i take the boat to interlaken and then another boat to thun? and from Thun i go Geneve.

I can make one night in Brienz next day on the boat and go to geneve for night or maybe add one extra night and make 

1 night Brienz

1 night Thun

1 night Geneve

no Bern

What do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I would avoid multiple one night stays. You'll lose time packing/unpacking and it'll be annoying to carry luggage all day.

For example : 2 nights in Bern, 1 in Geneva (or straight to Lyon)

Rome - Bern is already a long journey so I'd take a fast-ish route, either :

- Rome - Milan - Locarno - Domodossola - Bern (maybe with an extra change in Brig)

- Rome - Milan - Lucerne - Bern

The following day something like :

- Bern - Interlaken - side trip to Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald if you wish - boat to Brienz - Lucerne - Bern (the RE is more scenic than the IR15)

Basically go with the flow : Interrail gives you that flexibility in Switzerland. :)

Afterwards you could probably go to Geneva, visit the CERN and continue to Lyon in the evening. Or spend a night in Geneva but honestly it's not the best city ever in my opinion.

Badge

If i take the boat on  brienz lake i will use one of my inter rail day, is it?

If i take a night train i will consume two days right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The boat will use a travel day.

The departure day counts so only one pass day for a night train as long as you don't take another train the following morning. :)