Solved

1. Impossible to receive paper tickets as backpacker 2. Any ways to Avoid Hidden Fees?

Hello All!

I hope this reaches you all well :). 

Two quick but very important questions: 

• How can one reliably get paper tickets (in the case when e-tickets aren’t available) when they do not have an address to receive them (I am not in one place for more than 2-3 nights as a traveller/backpacker)? I’ve seen some suggestions in my searches, but wanted to solidify my understanding of the issue/solutions, because it seems so counter-intuitive to the proposed freedom and flexibility of a Eurail/Interrail pass. 
    • I say 'reliably' because getting paper tickets at train stations as a foreigner seems complicated (e.g., which company or station must I go to, will we be able to converse in the same language effectively?), and more importantly it puts me at risk of trying to book a train too late (e.g., I show up and it's full).
      • Another option I saw recommended: searching through various providers and then calling them. Again, doing this chasing, then maybe waiting on hold, just to get an e-ticket as opposed to a paper one, it seems a little old-fashioned? Is this something Eurail is aware of and will be looking to change in the future perhaps @Nanja @Magdalena ?
  • Unrelated, but almost equally frustrating:
    • Is there a free option (no added booking/service fee [EUrail's is 2.20 euros when I'm booking Berlin to Warsaw]) when booking seat reservations?
      • Must I call instead? Perhaps I need to book directly through the relevant train provider? 
      • It seems unfair that this fee is not properly advertised, especially given how expensive the global pass is, and given that fees are already charged for seat reservations themselves. 

Thanks Kindly!

Jacob :)

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 1 June 2022, 21:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

again-this has been posted here a few zillion times by now:

do NOT use app-use other means, most can be done easy online. See overveiw of seewulf. Its also cheaper, as you avoid the 2€ charge per REServ. the app simply leads you to other REServ engines.

Other as canuck thinks, the old-fashioned was  to have it all done at station-not necessarily the one the trip starts from. Railways here are state-run burocratic institutions (in some country they thus also like to strike very much) and in a big station there will simply only be counter of that state railway. Your ideas only show youve never been here and worry too much. I also seems old-time habits have died on youngies: paper+pen-write down date/train/etc or the new way: show on fone- these people behind the counters do it dozens of times every shift/day

The way to avoid paying any extra is to use LOCAL=regional trains (like GO Ont instead of VIA), but this will mean much longer trip times and more chnages. The expresses PL-DE (Berlin train) are global price and MUST be REServed-and just 2,20 (thats CAD?? its 2€ here in EUR) is likely low for it-I expect 5-6€-and can only be done at stations.

Repeat warning; ESpana, by far as #1, then Italy and FRance are the very worst for need to book/REServe and pay extra-and in hi-summer often to be disappointed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is a guide on how to make reservations in various ways. 

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you want advice on how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details: date, time and route, and you will get help.

Here is a guide on how to make reservations in various ways. 

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you want advice on how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details: date, time and route, and you will get help.

thank you very much for your kind and helpful response! I apologize if I sound like a rookie here. I searched and searched but didn’t stumble into the post you linked to. Very helpful though.

I figured I would fork out the big bucks for the promise of freedom and ultimate flexibility on a Global 2 month pass, but just a little disappointed that this wasn’t really the case with the hidden booking fees and then the paper tickets thing (it’s 2022!? haha). I’m okay to do all the extra steps as mentioned by @mcadv , just wasn’t expecting that I would need to do all that after paying so much for the convenience promise. Maybe I sound whiney and inexperienced like he mentioned, but I’ve seen plenty of others frustrated on the forum over the same things, so that gives me some solace I’m not the only one who feels a little misled. 

Anyways, I think I’ll skip Warsaw and go Berlin to Krakow, June 25th, anytime of day, but would be good to leave early (7am or later). Tried booking on OBB, but the cart kept malfunctioning and wouldn't let me proceed. Looking to get the lowest possible service fees to book such a train, online is easiest, but okay to call too if it avoids fees and isn't a pain. Totally happy to pay a little (max 10euros) for seat reservations if its saves on convenience of course (5-7 hours, less transfers, vs. 15+ hours, many long stopovers, etc.). 

Thanks Again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Berlin to Krakow should be around 4€ from a Deutsche Bahn ticket office or by phone (+49 30 2970, collect at a DB ticket machine). Can be booked max. 60 days in advance.

Berlin to Krakow should be around 4€ from a Deutsche Bahn ticket office or by phone (+49 30 2970, collect at a DB ticket machine). Can be booked max. 60 days in advance.

thanks! currently on hold, been over 30 minutes, is this usual? The guy who forwarded me to the international ticket sales desk said it would be quick as it was slow today :/. Maybe will try to find a machine where I am...