Solved

Apostrophe in my name will not let me book reservations- already on trip

• 27 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am on my trip now so this is kind of urgent. I am trying to book train tickets online and due to the apostrophe in my name it will not allow me. The apostrophe was fine on the mobile app, but when I go online to do seat reservations it says “special characters not allowed”.

I have tried deleting the apostrophe from my name and using a space, but since my pass is linked to the name with the apostrophe it is unable to be found. 
In other post the only solution was that the Eurail team changes the name on my account to one without an apostrophe so please can you interact with my post so they are able to see this and fix my account as soon as possible.

Since I am already on my trip does anyone have any advice on how to get this solved? (I booked this through a travel agent so I never anticipated having problems) I have already emailed Eurail, but they have not responded. I have been getting kicked off of my trains despite using days from my global pass. I am also a young female traveler who relies on google translate to communicate with most other languages. So getting stranded at random stops where I do not speak the language has not been great. I am just frustrated with this company. If so many people have this problem, why has it not be fixed? 

Thanks for your help,

Ryan Rose

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 16 August 2022, 09:33

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Again'NOT use app-there are many other ways to do these REServations-and by being a little more ingenious and not following anyone in carting off all those hispeed routes you can even have a more agreeable trip. But seewulf has made an overview on howtodoit via railways themselves=varies per country and then you have generally no probs. Which I somehow think has also already been posted

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website. You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello, thanks for posting this here and I'm sorry that you've had issues with the apostrophe in your surname. I've passed this along to our team and we hope to work on this soon. In the meantime, I would suggest using alternative reservation methods you can also see @AnnaB's link above for detailed advice on how to make reservations as a pass holder. Please feel free to get in touch either with me or our customer service team if this issue caused you any unnecessary inconvenience :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello, thanks for posting this here and I'm sorry that you've had issues with the apostrophe in your surname. I've passed this along to our team and we hope to work on this soon.

@Claudi. @Jody The team has known this issue for a number of months now (there have been others who complained) but nothing has changed. People aren't even warned when they buy a pass. It would be great if you could provide feedback as to:

1. When people will be warned not to use an apostrophe in the name they enter (like they are warned not to use a hyphen).
  2. When there a solution will be implemented so that hyphens and apostrophes can be used.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Since all other reservation tools than the IR/EUR one are not linked to an account, surely all you need to do is apply for your reservation in your simplified name (no special characters). Any inspectors will ignore the spelling as long as your pass looks like the same name - it is only a seat reservation with a valid IR pass after all.