Solved

AVE train - bicycle reservation

• 23 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I want to reserve the bicycle place in AVE train for traveling between Barcelona and Madrid on the 26 January. According to Renfe website, this is mandatory: “Keep in mind that you must add the Bicycle Add-on when you buy your AVE and Larga Distancia (long distance high-speed) tickets if the bicycle exceeds the maximum hand luggage dimensions, it is free! “

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/travel/informacion-util/luggage/bicycles-and-kick-scooters-_non-electric_

I already booked my seats from the interrail website, but the option to book the bicycle place was not present.

On renfe website, I did not find a way to only book the bicycle place without buying a ticket...

Anyone know how to book the bicycle space without buying a passenger ticket?

Or do you have experience of taking AVE train without a reservation for bicycle or special luggage? did you managed to get in ?

Thanks in advance :)

icon

Best answer by ralderton 23 December 2023, 17:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah it’s a bit unfortunate when the bike reservation is linked to buying a ticket - and you’re not buying a ticket!

It might be best to call RENFE on +34 919 19 05 04

Thanks for the answer!

So I called RENFE, they said they can’t add the reservation for the bicycle because the seat reservation was booked via interrail and so the bicycle should be booked also with interrail (which apparently is not possible or ?) … or at a train station in Spain (very practical from Switzerland...) 🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

DB can book Interrail reservations so if you live not far from the border it might be worth a try.

Let me ask a friend...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB can book Interrail reservations so if you live not far from the border it might be worth a try.

The DB ticket office at Basel Bad. Bf can do that, for example.

But I doubt they can book a bike reservation for Spain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah they can't, I asked a friend working at DB counters. But all regular Spanish reservations are still working, that's a great feature of DB (when staff is aware of the option ofc).

Since it's an "extra luggage fee" (as only folded bikes are allowed anyway) there shouldn't be any limitation I guess ? aka available at counters there or even on the platform

I don't have any personal experience to share...

Thanks but I'm too far from Germany. Anyway this is too complicated just for booking a bicycle reservation... this should really be embedded in the interrail seat booking webshop/app. 

I will just go without bike réservation and hope for the best...

I have the same plans as you. Can you tell me about your experience? Did it work with the bike transport even without the AddOn? And how did you pack your bike? Thanks!