Solved

Cannot reserve seats

• 16 April 2024
  • 5 replies

• Rail rookie
  • 1 reply

Hi, 

I’ve been trying to buy the seat reservations for an ICE from Amsterdam to Basel that leaves on 14.06 at 7.46am. However, whenever I try to purchase it via the Deustche Bahn website (to avoid extra fees) it tells me that “reservaton cannot be made”. It is unlikely that the train is already sold out (I know it’s the first day of the Euros, so the train will be most likely full in the end), as I have been trying to get the tickets for nearly two months now. First, it was not even possible to select the train, and today this thing popped up.

Can somebody tell me what’s the reason for that? Is it safer if I just buy it through the interrail webiste? I’m afraid that if I do so, the reservation might not be valid once I get on the train (I’ve had some bad experience with buying tickets/reservations for trains via 3rd party sites previously). 

Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 16 April 2024, 17:01

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The reason is probably engineering works and the timetable not being final yet.

I doubt that booking elsewhere will work. tickets.oebb.at can't book it either at the moment. That site is cheaper by the way, just €3.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

DB cannot sell standalone mandatory reservations, even for their own trains (with little exceptions).

You could buy through Interrail but it would be too expensive : 6€ + 2€ fee.

Book through ÖBB (Austrian railways) : 3€ per person. EDIT: when available, as advised by rvdborgt.

Btw do not expect an ontime arrival in Basel so don't plan tight connections afterwards. That train is usually 20-30 min delayed and could terminate earlier in Basel Bad Bf or even Freiburg. There are lots of later trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB cannot sell standalone mandatory reservations, even for their own trains (with little exceptions).

The ICEs from Amsterdam are supposed to work though.

The issue is that I am able to buy any reservation for other trains that day, even via DB. It is this particular one that goes to Basel that is for some reason still unavailable.

Thanks for the heads-up; I try to never plan a connection within less than an hour, especially with DB. I'd like to be able to at least buy a reservation for that train anyway...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The issue is that I am able to buy any reservation for other trains that day, even via DB. It is this particular one that goes to Basel that is for some reason still unavailable.

Thanks for the heads-up; I try to never plan a connection within less than an hour, especially with DB. I'd like to be able to at least buy a reservation for that train anyway...

A reservation is certainly recommended (mandatory even in summer) but indeed this one train has not been opened yet. It seems to be for the whole route: I can't even book e.g. Freiburg-Basel. That also means nobody can book, so the train should still be empty. Just keep trying regularly.