Skip to main content
Solved

Direct train Lugano to Venice

• 27 June 2024
  • 5 replies

I have seen on the SBB website that there is a direct train from Lugano to Venice Santa Lucia which leaves Lugano at 10:30, arriving Venice at 14:42.  It is a train from Zurich.  However the train does not appear on the Interrail app.       Can anyone explain why?

Peter

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What's the travel date? I see it on Rail Planner for today and a random July date.

Badge

My actual travel date will not be December.  However I am currently investigating whether Interrail is a sensible option for my travels so I am choosing random dates. 

When I look at dates in September, October or November I see the trains on SBB but not on the Interrail planner.

E.g. 9.9.24; 6.10.24;

….. sudden thought:   seat reservations are obligitory on this train.  Is it possible that the seat reservations are not available yet for these dates - and that is why it does not appear on tne interrail planner?

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, this is due to the Gotthard base tunnel disruption. Right now it is closed and trains take the old scenic route (1h longer).

SBB plans to reopen the tunnel in early September while other planners don't know yet what'll happen.

Badge

Thank you.  That is very helpful.

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're welcome. SBB posted a press release today mentioning that the tunnel will fully reopen on 2nd September.

Planners should be updated to reflect that in the coming weeks.