Solved

HOW to reserve seats in EURAIL and can you edit reserved seats if you miss it?

• 23 January 2023
  • 36 replies

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi AI_G..thank you very much for your response. 

for thise routes that I mentioned do I still have to plot that in my Eurail pass? you know, the one that you have to activate when you travel? So sorry if my questions are being silly but I’m just still a bit confused on how to use the Eurail pass to be honest

You have to add EVERY train you take in your pass, this is a requirement of it’s use.

It also should be done before boarding.

In most cases the daily QR code that is generated once you activate a travel day is all that will be checked but there are checkers that will want to see their train listed as this is how revenue/use is assigned to their company/line.

Badge

Hi AI_G..thank you very much for your response. 

for thise routes that I mentioned do I still have to plot that in my Eurail pass? you know, the one that you have to activate when you travel? So sorry if my questions are being silly but I’m just still a bit confused on how to use the Eurail pass to be honest

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

hi..thank you for all your responses..another question that I have is this..for example:

travelling from Interlaken to Zurich then from Zurich to Bern  to Interlaken within the same day, is that considered just 1 travel day? And do I have to pay the ticket from Zurich to Bern, Bern to Interlaken? or is that free?

There is nothing else to pay on top of your pass for these or other regular trains in Switzerland.

You can travel as much as you want in any direction you want on any valid trains for all of your pass days.

Reservations are not required or really needed on Swiss trains with the exception of a handful of special tourist services.

There are also a small number of tourist lines that passes are not valid on, most of these are around Interlaken towards Jungfraujoch.

This map shows Swiss lines, all solid and dashed lines are valid, only the dotted lines are not and if you wish to use these railways there is a discount for passholders.

https://www.interrail.eu/content/dam/miscellaneous/Map%20of%20Switzerland_SBB.JPG

Badge

hi..thank you for all your responses..another question that I have is this..for example:

travelling from Interlaken to Zurich then from Zurich to Bern  to Interlaken within the same day, is that considered just 1 travel day? And do I have to pay the ticket from Zurich to Bern, Bern to Interlaken? or is that free?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Local transport within cities are not covered by Interrail/Eurail so for travels within Rome you need to purchase tickets for travels by bus/tram/metro.

Badge

Hello.thanks formyour reply..does that mean I will still have to have a ticket for all the travels within that day?Do i have to reserve a seat everytime,let’s say like trains within Rome like going to Vatican etc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

can somebody tell me how the unlimited travel works please?for example on the april 18 we will travel to rome at 10am, does this mean if we travel or use the train until april 19 10am, it is still considered as 1 travel day?

A travel day is always from 0:00 until 23:59 and during that time, you can board as many trains as you like. If you board another train after 23:59, then you need a new travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

no, travel day means travel day. So on 18th you can travel. Only if you’d use a nighttrain starting before 19th, you could finish that trip.
But on 19th you can’t start any trip.

Badge

thank you..can somebody tell me how the unlimited travel works please?for example on the april 18 we will travel to rome at 10am, does this mean if we travel or use the train until april 19 10am, it is still considered as 1 travel day?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It means that tickets are probably not yet open for booking. Italy is always late in that. Which train(s) you were looking at exactly? (Time-date, the more details, the better advice you get).

Amsterdam, Paris, London, Brussels and trains between them should be reservable. Which trains you’re looking at exactly between those halts?

Note that reserving a Thalys between Amsterdam and Brussels (or the other way around) is usually not good value for money with a pass. It comes with a hefty seat reservation surcharge, for a fairly short distance where reservation free, very flexible and only a tad bit slower intercity trains exist. The reservation cost is often as much as cheap advance tickets.

All guidelines for reservations not done via Interrail/Eurail can be found via this link:

EDIT: I checked, and there’s availability for april. Note that you cannot use “seat reservation only” when booking seat reservations in Italy via ÖBB (logic, I know...). Click on passenger/adult/ change button when booking ordinary tickets → select discount → Interrail/Eurail Global pass → the 10 EUR seat reservation should appear. 

This specific guide is also provided and well documented in the link mentioned above.

Badge

Aa an addition to my query, I have just tried reserving a seat thru OBB as suggested but when I did a seat reservation only it said Ticket Unavailable. Does it mean there’s not more tickets?