Solved

Missed train = lost travel day / Adding a travel day at the very last minute

• 29 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Interrailers,

There’s a small but non-negligible chance i’ll miss my Zagreb-Split night train.

If i understand rightly:

if you list a journey on your mobile pass, then from 00:01 that day, that’s one travel day used up, whether or not you actually make it onto the train. Miss the train, lose a travel day, for nothing.

So i got to thinking…

What if i don’t add that journey AT ALL until the very last moment, when i’m sure of catching the train – or even when i’m actually ON it (internet connection allowing).

I already have the couchettes booked; but what if i wait until the last second before actually adding the train to the travel diary? That way i shouldn’t lose a travel day unnecessarily.

Or am i missing something important?

Thanks in advance for your avuncular advice,

Badger

icon

Best answer by ralderton 29 April 2024, 16:35

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, a very good idea to only activate a travel day when you’re certain you will be taking the train.

Delays, cancellations, change of plans, illness, natural disaster etc. can all mess with your plans.

Don’t wait until after departure though - the conductor can tell, and you could be fined.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

PS no problem adding trains to your travel diary. Add as many as you like, including backups and Plan B.

Wait until the last minute to slide the toggle switch and activate the first journey of any travel day.

Hi Interrailers,

There’s a small but non-negligible chance i’ll miss my Zagreb-Split night train.

If i understand rightly:

if you list a journey on your mobile pass, then from 00:01 that day, that’s one travel day used up, whether or not you actually make it onto the train. Miss the train, lose a travel day, for nothing.

So i got to thinking…

What if i don’t add that journey AT ALL until the very last moment, when i’m sure of catching the train – or even when i’m actually ON it (internet connection allowing).

I already have the couchettes booked; but what if i wait until the last second before actually adding the train to the travel diary? That way i shouldn’t lose a travel day unnecessarily.

Or am i missing something important?

Thanks in advance for your avuncular advice,

Badger

If this is about your tight connection in Zagreb from a previous posting: That doesn’t use a travel day anyway. It doesn’t matter if you get the train or not - you don’t need to add a new travel day to use it if you are already using your railpass from Budapest. So there is no problem at all.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks, lads.

Ralderton: this toggling business is clearly something i need to get to grips with! Grateful for the heads up.

Well spotted Hektor ! But the thing is, the train from Hungary (we’ll be joining it at Balatonszentgyörgy) only costs 11€ each, so we might just pay the normal fare on that so as not to forfeit the travel day if we miss the connection.

All part of the complicated calculations… none of which would have necessary if ZSSK hadn’t canceled the down train from Bratislava that we were all set up to join in Celje, after a nice afternoon visiting the castle there.

Mice, men, etc.