Solved

Night train 1st class with VY?

Show first post

35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have been waiting to book a couchette from Narvik to Stockholm but so far the site says that is unavailable for the end of May.  But when I tried the suggested site, Trainplanet, to book, I still cannot see how to use my eurail pass to book: I’d be very very grateful if someone can walk me through the process. Sorry if this is something that has been covered elsewhere, but I can’t find information . thanks!

Badge

I wonder how it works, if two people travel together, one with InterRail 1. class pass and 1 with a normal, of Early-Bird ticket. The person with ticket could book the private-cabin and the second one (with Interrail) could join him. Or 1 of 2 people use the same private-cabin doesn’t matter in price, (if both can show a valid ticket for the travel), does it? 

Userlevel 1

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to research and help me understand! We booked the private 2nd class sleeper car, and are now counting down the days to our adventure! Thank you again for being so kind! 😍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The answer from VY customer service regarding the 1st class compartments is that those only run on the train to Luleå. But 1st class compartments are not available for travellers with Interrail/Eurail passes.

Hej Anna,

Våra 1klass kupéer går endast till Luleå.
För att boka första klass på den tidiga avgången från Stockholm behöver man först boka sträckan Stockholm-Boden och sedan Boden-Narvik med sittplats.
Då vagnarna med 1klass kopplas bort från tåget i Boden och körs vidare till Luleå.

1klass kupéerna är inte rabatterbara och gäller inte på inter/eurorail pass.
Utan det är endast plats i sov/liggvagn eller 2klass egen sovvagnskupé.

Vänliga hälsningar,
Alicia
Servicecenter
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There was an item some time ago (or maybe even on another forum) that VY/se would not give away its precious 1st cl. berthes to passholders.

We can't check that now. It does not even show 1st class for normal tickets (not for any date from 11 Dec until 15 Jan), suggesting it is already fully booked on all these dates, which is a bit strange, so I'd suggest to ask Vy when they expect to have 1st class sleepers again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There was an item some time ago (or maybe even on another forum) that VY/se would not give away its precious 1st cl. berthes to passholders. A bit similar I think to some hi-class berthes on that Flying Scot of Caledonian. But perhaps this was only in hi-season or due to covid-space-restrictions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt Now I get the same prices as you on sj.se but earlier I got a price of over 1000 SEK on sj.se with the same input as I had now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I checked at the VY website and the 1st class compartments are sold out.

A bit strange, just hours after booking opened, but theoretically possible of course.

I also realised that you get the wrong price if you try to make an Interrail reservation for the night train at the SJ website. It is not possible to make a reservation at the VY website. VY asks their customers to make the reservation here:

https://trainplanet.com/en

At Trainplanet I get the correct Interrail price for the night train on the 11th of December. 

I see the same prices on both websites (1 person):

• Seat SEK 48
  • Couchette SEK 227
  • Private sleeper SEK 954
  • Shared sleeper (T3 I suppose) SEK 444

Did you see something else?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I checked at the VY website and the 1st class compartments are sold out. I also realised that you get the wrong price if you try to make an Interrail reservation for the night train at the SJ website. It is not possible to make a reservation at the VY website. VY asks their customers to make the reservation here:

https://trainplanet.com/en

At Trainplanet I get the correct Interrail price for the night train on the 11th of December. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You'll have to ask Vy why the compartments with shower/toilet are not (yet?) bookable.