Solved

Researched forums for answers, still a couple questions on reservations and supplements

Show first post

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

1. The 3€ seat reservation is for the IC train between Monterosso and Viareggio but there are reservation-free regional trains on the same line not taking much longer. (You'll need the seat reservation for the Frecciarossa train between Florence and Venice but I believe you've done it.)

2. Don't worry the supplement can be bought at any time, even on the train. It should be doable on tickets.oebb.at (15€). It is called Tarvisioverkehr Pass1 (maybe you clicked on "ticket already exists" ?)

3. Lots of trains and capacity shouldn't be a problem. Simply board any train you want (you can always do a free last-minute reservation).

Yes you add trains before boarding (reservations or not). All trains should be available and you can always add one manually if needed.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @thibcabe. To reply …

1. Monterosso - No, looking up May 30th we have no reservation for that voyage at all on any leg so far. This is a sample of the itinerary and on the previous page there’s no option to pay for a reservation on this leg. Same thing if I use the faster route through La Spezia central, Pisa and Firenze. So, if there’s an option to pay for a reservation, I’m simply not seeing it. I’m not particularly stressed since there do appear to be lots of trains, but just odd that I can’t see any option to pay for a reservation on that route at all. It would be nicer to just know what time I need to be there and have it booked.
  2. Venice to Salzburg - ‘ticket already exists’ was pre-chosen for me at payment time since I chose ‘Eurail Global Pass discount’ for each passenger for the trip. It never mentions a supplement at all when searching for trains from the initial Timetable & Tickets screen. As long as it’s clear how to get it on the train, that’s fine, but I was just surprised there’s no mention of it anywhere.
  3. Good to know Salzburg to Munich shouldn’t be an issue. In fact the Thalys and TGV reservations were the only somewhat expensive ones. The rest were all quite cheap.

Thanks for the advice on the boarding process. I figured it would be pretty simple, and after the first one things should be straightforward. Along with that, I guess taking your first train activates your pass for the allotted timeframe (2 months for us and we’re only travelling for a month, so not a problem).

Cheers.