Solved

Reservations in Italy

• 6 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Does anyone know whay I cannot find full timetables on the Railplanner app, DB or OBB for tains in Italy? For instance I am trying to reserve a seat from Ravenna to Jesi on the 18th September. The three sources above list only one train per day at 06:15 but the Trenitalia website shows one train every hour. From other posts I gather it is not possible to reserve with Trenitalia.

I had a similar issue with trains from Bologna to Ravenna. In that case I added a trip manually but no QR code appears and I do not know how to make the reservation or if I need one. 

Does showing your pass without a QR code work on any trains?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 6 September 2022, 17:04

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need a QR code in the app to travel as the QR code is your ticket.

Have you tried to restart the app?

The app works badly if the internet connection is bad. If you have a bad internet connection you can try to switch the phone to flight mode.

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the QR code, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No idea about this Jesi, but I kind of think it is simply a REGionale connection-NO RES even possibel-and in this area the trains are labelled for some reason as TPER (by the regione) and will run hourly on most major lines-and many are out of the app.system, so yes, you have to add manually. Some former private branchlines still also TPER however seem to be out of pass-as they always were before the merger. For such short trips local tickets are quite cheap and may cost less as a passday (unless you have continu pass at big discount)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

In Italy only Frecce… and IC/EC Intercity services require reservations. R, RV and other designations of regional trains do not.

In this area the regional trains are run by Trenitalia TPER, they are valid with passes but there is an issue with the schedules not being shared with outside agencies (DB, Interrail, etc) so for routes with regular regional and perhaps 1 or 2 a day IC or Frecce only the latter will appear on these planners.

This is why it is always advisable to consult the local operator and not solely rely on centralised information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Regional trains in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna (in which Ravenna is located) are now run by "Trenitalia TPER”, a merger of the regional Trenitalia branch and TPER, a local company. Since that is the case, Trenitalia TPER have not shared their timetables with the rest of the world, so you can only find them on the Trenitalia website. Interrail is valid on all trains run by Trenitalia TPER but you'll have to add their trains manually in the app. Reservations are not possible, so no need to worry about that.

Thank you all very much. I feel much more relaxed now...

Can I assume Anna’s advice about Activation on travel days only applies to journey limited passes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you all very much. I feel much more relaxed now...

Can I assume Anna’s advice about Activation on travel days only applies to journey limited passes?

If you have a continuous pass, the only important thing is the activation of the pass. Once your pass is active, then all days are travel days. You only need to watch out for when you use your outbound and inbound travel days as you don't want to loose them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Regional trains in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna (in which Ravenna is located) are now run by "Trenitalia TPER”, a merger of the regional Trenitalia branch and TPER, a local company. Since that is the case, Trenitalia TPER have not shared their timetables with the rest of the world, so you can only find them on the Trenitalia website. Interrail is valid on all trains run by Trenitalia TPER but you'll have to add their trains manually in the app. Reservations are not possible, so no need to worry about that.

I've asked Trenitalia TPER via email if it would be possible to share the timetable like their mother company, they answered my that they are working on that.