Reservations in some Grand Est TERs

• 1 February 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Another French region will try to manage their inability to provide enough capacity by making reservations mandatory:

2 TER lines in Grand Est will have mandatory reservations from 1 July:

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/a-partir-de-cet-ete-la-reservation-sera-obligatoire-dans-les-ter-vallee-de-la-marne-6533098

• Paris - Troyes - Belfort - Mulhouse
  • Paris - Épernay - St. Dizier/Bar-le-Duc (possibly all the way from/to Strasbourg for the few trains that do that)

The reservations are supposed to be free of charge and available from 1 March. No idea however, how or where they can then be booked.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hopefully only a temporary measure for the Olympics 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hopefully only a temporary measure for the Olympics 

The article I mentioned doesn't mention the Olympics, nor that it would be temporary. So don't hold your breath...

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Interesting to read the local users group are strongly opposed to this. Hopefully they can change the policy.

Unfortunately I think the translation I read was a bit incorrect, while I do understand the urge to occasionally deal with SNCF nonsense with violence I think this may be taking it a little too far.

If they do not obtain a “satisfactory” response, they plan to organize “punching actions” in the Marne stations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm not really sure whether “punching action” is a good translation of "action coup de poing”…

AFAIK it's a short and targeted action. Maybe it's meaning #3 here:

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/op%C3%A9ration_coup_de_poing

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So I just went to a counter in Strasbourg and staff told me that the reservations should be available on maplaceabord.com (free of charge).

(Another SNCF website lol...)

I haven't tried but it would be somewhat good news!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So I just went to a counter in Strasbourg and staff told me that the reservations should be available on maplaceabord.com (free of charge).

(Another SNCF website lol...)

I haven't tried but it would be somewhat good news!

I had a quick look. You need to log in with an SNCF account and then you need to supply a 10-digit card number. Looks like this is for season card holders...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ugh I clearly mentioned Interrail though…

Looks like he was trying to get rid of me then. Or maybe they'll add the feature by July we can only hope.

I just found this:

https://www.ter.sncf.com/grand-est/services-contacts/reservation-a-bord

The last question in the FAQ is about Interrail. Interrail reservations has to be bought at the counter for €1.7. They say that reservations will be available on the Interrail website soon.

(I don’t speak French, but Google translate works fine...)

I did a few searches for reservations on Interrails seat reservation site. From Paris to Belfort. Until 5/7 the is no reservation required.

Between 6/7 og the first train on 8/7, the Interrail site says that reservations is required and costs from €1.7 (The usual €2 Interrail reservation fee is not mentioned). But the system is not able to book these reservation.

No trains is found after the first train on 8/7.

I don’t know when the FAQ was written, but “soon” is not yet… :-)

I have also looked at Raileurope.com. This site is not good at finding regional trains - unless they are faster than the TGV. But it can find some of the same trains as Interrail. But no direct trains between Paris and Belfort after the first train on 8/7. For those trains it finds, it says that reservations has to be booked at the station.

Now I think I know what “TGE” means: TER Grand Est. I have seen this a few times before on Raileurope.com and was wondering what kind of train it was.

DB finds the same trains as Interrail (no trains after 8/7) and clearly shows when reservation is required (A “R”-symbol next to the train number). DB can’t show prices for these trains.

The national www.sncf-connect.com can’t find any direct regional trains between Paris and Belfort. And the same seem to be the case on the regional www.ter.sncf.com/grand-est. But it is not possible to filter for direct trains. And the site often fails when I click “Following times”.

I am wondering if a reservation can be done at any French station or only stations in the Grand Est region?

Userlevel 2

2 TER lines in Grand Est will have mandatory reservations from 1 July:

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/a-partir-de-cet-ete-la-reservation-sera-obligatoire-dans-les-ter-vallee-de-la-marne-6533098

• Paris - Troyes - Belfort - Mulhouse
  • Paris - Épernay - St. Dizier/Bar-le-Duc (possibly all the way from/to Strasbourg for the few trains that do that)

The reservations are supposed to be free of charge and available from 1 March. No idea however, how or where they can then be booked.

The reservations for now are only available at the station, they cost 1€70 and they only concern the journeys Paris - 1st stop outside of Paris, which means those TER lines can still be taken without reservations on most of the line.