Solved

Seat reservation on bahn.com

Show first post

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The fees are if you book through Eurail.com, not if you book directly through DB, ČD or DSB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just for clarity there are 2 elements to the price charged, the first is the operators tariff for a seat reservation and the second is the booking fee. Eurail can prove expensive as it charges a booking fee of 2 euro per seat, others vary from no booking fee to a few euros per booking, irrespective of number of seats. Each should be clearly indicated when you get to checkout.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF you choose the overnight connection-and blindly follow the planners, you are pointed to the combined NJ/IC-overnite from AMS via Duisburg/Düsseldorf to ward Swiss-SEATs in this train (that is more often late as on time shortly after reaching Germany) cannoit be RES via bahn.com and it is also not really needed in this time of yr. BUT you have to use the 3 seated cars that are run as IC, NOT the OeBB cars that run as NJ and have 6-person compatrments old style.

Duisburg station, the first to change, is awful and currently now also under complete repairs/renovations that should have staretd some 20 yrs ago. It may be wiser to use an earlier ICE and change Düsseldorf.

Badge

The fees are if you book through Eurail.com, not if you book directly through DB, ČD or DSB.

Yes, I understand that. But when I following the link provided by the Planner App to DB website to reserve a seat. It shows the seat will be charged €5.95 to be reserved (not the ticket cost, just the reservation).

I don’t what I have done wrong - or what should I do to avoid the booking fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In that case, make the reservation directly at bahn.com. Use the option "seat only" . The reservation cost is 4,50 EUR in 2nd class. No booking fee. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Really weird price, maybe you checked paper delivery ? There is no fee otherwise

Should be 4.50€ per journey (2nd class) or 5.90€ 1st class on bahn.de

3€ per train (2nd class) or free (1st class) on tickets.oebb.at

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, I understand that. But when I following the link provided by the Planner App to DB website to reserve a seat. It shows the seat will be charged €5.95 to be reserved (not the ticket cost, just the reservation).

I don’t what I have done wrong - or what should I do to avoid the booking fee.

To rephrase Yorkie's comments, what you pay consists of 2 elements:

1. The reservation fee.
  2. The booking fee.

Both can also be 0. For optional reservations, Eurail often charge a €6 reservation fee and a €2 booking fee per person and train.

DB charge no booking fee and their reservation fee is €4.50 per person and journey in 2nd class; €5.90 in 1st class.

ÖBB also charge no booking fee; reservation fee is €3 per person and train in 2nd class (in Austria: €3 per person and journey); no reservation fee in 1st class. The rail planner app doesn't mention ÖBB for reservations in Germany but you can still use them (the app isn't complete).

Since you seem to have a 1st class pass, it's cheaper to book via ÖBB: go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount, and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only”.

Badge

In that case, make the reservation directly at bahn.com. Use the option "seat only" . The reservation cost is 4,50 EUR in 2nd class.

I made the reservation directly at bahn.com. My have 1st class Mobile Pass. therefore it would charge me €5.95.

But the App shows ‘Mobile tickets, no booking fees’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

To rephrase Yorkie's comments, what you pay consists of 2 elements:

1. The reservation fee.
  2. The booking fee.

Both can also be 0. For optional reservations, Eurail often charge a €6 reservation fee and a €2 booking fee per person and train.

DB charge no booking fee and their reservation fee is €4.50 per person and journey in 2nd class; €5.90 in 1st class.

ÖBB also charge no booking fee; reservation fee is €3 per person and train in 2nd class (in Austria: €3 per person and journey); no reservation fee in 1st class. The rail planner app doesn't mention ÖBB for reservations in Germany but you can still use them (the app isn't complete).

Since you seem to have a 1st class pass, it's cheaper to book via ÖBB: go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount, and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only”.

That make sense now. In that case, I don’t think I would pay for the reservation. I believe that it is unlikely 1st class would run out seats, would they?

Last year we travelled first class from Frankfurt to Brussels on the direct ICE service. Not only were there no seats in first class the train was impossible to walk through because of bodies sitting on every bit of space plus bags and bikes. At every stop it was worse as some tried to get off, others jumped into their seats and then passengers boarded demanding their reserved seats.

For the few euros to reserve ICE it was worth every penny. Even when there are seats you are always at risk of needing to move as passengers join the train.