Skip to main content
Solved

Travel from Zermatt to Florence with bus transfer for one segment

• 19 May 2024
  • 2 replies

We are travelling from Zermatt to Florence on 1 August and trying to make seat reservations. (Hopefully the screen shot of trip is visible below). We have 2 questions:

1. The first segments: Zermatt to Brig and then Brig to Domodossola have a green “ready to board” message. Does this mean we don’t need to book a seat, but can just board with our eurail global pass?
  2. In Domodossola it looks like we need to catch a bus to Milan (due to rail works?), how do we do this please? From Milan to Florence I’ve booked and paid for seats, but I don’t know how to book the bus to enure we get to Milan on time to catch the train again to Florence.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you can't book seats on Zermatt - Brig - Domodossola. Simply hop on and sit wherever you want.

There are works on Domodossola - Milan from 9th June to 8th September. Trains are replaced by buses. Passholder reservations seem to be unavailable, except only at the station (maybe).

Seats won't be numbered but I guess it's to make sure nobody stands for the 2h20 journey. For peace of mind I might get a 13€ regular ticket for this leg.

For future bookings please avoid the Eurail website (it adds extra fees). Have a look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just book a reservation for the bus as soon as you get to Switzerland, Should be €3.

You can already book the train Milan-Florence, best on raileurope.com (desktop website) or ÖBB to avoid extra fees.