Solved

Unable to use Global pass for my travel - is it better to cancel it and book separately?

Show first post

30 replies

Badge

There are some technical issues with booking night trains --Started with Paris to Zurich and it comes to this screen and it get stuck and then doesn’t move when I click on ‘continue to traveller details’ see the screenshot below

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OR from Paris-Est (might be even quicker than the direct TGV if your accomodation is near that station)

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 12:52 - 14:38 10€

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 14:51 - 16:08

- IR37 Basel SBB - Zürich HB 16:43 - 17:52

Usually it's quicker but there are engineering works that weekend

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

First book the night trains ASAP, they sell out fast. You can do the booking in 2 times anyway as you won't all sleep in the same compartment.

Either a 4-people couchette compartment + a 3-people sleeper or 2 x 4-people compartment but you'll need to pay for a fourth fictive person if I'm right.

Again I wouldn't take the direct TGV to Zurich (37€ 2nd class / 70€ 1st class fee...). It's possible to book for everyone for 4€ booking fee altogether. Here are 2 possible connections :

- TGV Paris-Gare de Lyon - Mulhouse 11:16 - 14:12 / 14:20 - 17:03 10€ per person

- TER Mulhouse - Basel SBB 14:19 - 14:50 / 17:19 - 17:50

- IR36/IC3 Basel SBB - Zürich HB 15:11 - 16:24 / 18:06 - 19:00

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It will not be easier if you cancel the pass and book separate tickets. 7 persons will still be too many for one single booking online. @rvdborgt has given you good advice how to make the reservations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A group of 7 is often too large to book in 1 go. To book online, you'll have to split the group. You can use these websites:

Paris-Zurich: online only on Eurail.com. Please note that this is an expensive reservation. It's much cheaper to book a reservation to Strasbourg or Mulhouse, take a regional train to Basel and then the intercity to Zurich (both no reservations needed). Usually takes 30-60 minutes more. Book Paris-Strasbourg/Mulhouse here. Can also be booked by phone via SNCF, NS, NMBS, CFL, see here.

Zurich-Vienna, Vienna-Hamburg: tickets.oebb.at; do NOT use "Seat reservation only” but add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Can also be booked by phone via +43 5 1717.

Hamburg-Amsterdam: bahn.com (use “Seat only”). You can use the seat map on bahn.com to place everybody together.