Solved

What to do if my train is fully booked?

• 23 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi there, I have a train ticket for Paris Gare du Nord - Amsterdam Centraal on the 17th of July, 7:55 am. I've tried for over a month to reserve a seat, as it is mandatory, but was never able to book the reservation because the site was too laggy/buggy. 

Today I tried again. And boom! The prices are unavailable and it says it might be due to the train being booked out. I've tried booking for other trains that day and even on the day before or after, to no avail. They all seem to be fully booked. 

Anyone know what I can do? I've even tried going to my local train station, but they couldn't book the reservation for me. I've tried the SNCF website as well, but you can only book the full train tickets there. I'm freaking out, to be honest. My hotels are all non-refundable and it seems like I might have to cancel my trip because of this issue.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 23 June 2022, 12:47

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The best way to make reservations for French trains is to call SNCF. No need of Pass Cover Number. 

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

Press #85 for English, no booking fees, reservations are sent via e-mail

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website. You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new post, and you will get advice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The easiest way to check Thalys (and Eurostar) pass holder seat availability is via b-europe (Belgian railways). It will only show trains with available seats. Keep clicking on "Earlier trains” and "Later trains” to find the last or first available seats before or after the date/time you requested.

To book there, you'll need a pass cover number though, and there's a 4€ booking fee per order.

You'll see that there's no availability Amsterdam - Paris or Antwerp - Paris on 17 July. There is still availability from Brussels though. You can use the hourly intercity Amsterdam - Brussels to connect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

But it seems you want to go FROM the ville lumiëre to Ams (the city that does not want any tourists anymore)? THEN use domestic TGV to LILLE-walk over to other station in 10 mins along price-crowned architectural monstrosity and find train to Antwerpen-admire this railway cathedral-go to lowest level-the BRU-AMS trains yellow/blue run hourly onward-the last 2 are locals with even possible to REServe. It will take some time longer but will get you there in the end-with afair chance to admire more on the way and for lower price too! And hey-I bet youre not the only one to do it that way-so make more friends on the way too!