Solved

Why is Stuttgart-Strasbourg-Paris cheaper than Strasbourg-Paris?

• 22 April 2024
  • 1 reply

On the 23/7-2024 I will travel from Denmark, through Germany to Pau in southern France. An part of this journey will go from SW Germany to Paris. This could be ICE 9575 from Stuttgart (14:52) via Strasbourg to Paris Est (18:16). But I could also cross the border with a regional train (no reservation) and catch ICE 9575 in Strasbourg (at 16:31). This is often cheaper to cross the border with at regional train. But not on this one…

If I book reservations through Raileurope.com, the train from Stuttgart to Paris costs €18. But the same train from Strasbourg to Paris costs €20. It is only €2, but it makes me wonder: Why is a longer journey cheaper than a shorter journey on the exact same train?

Palle Dam    

icon

Best answer by ralderton 22 April 2024, 17:00

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think this is due to the different cost of an international ICE/ TGV Germany to France, and the cost of a domestic French TGV.

International trains on the joint venture operated by DB and SNCF cost €18.

Domestic TGVs in France cost €10, until the cheap quota is sold out, then €20 for the remaining seats. Once the train has crossed into France, it comes under the SNCF reservation system.