Solved

Wrong tickets sent by reservation system, 80€ lost

I recently bought a couchette reservation on the interrail website booking system for Intercity Notte 798 from Napoli Cle to Milano P Garibaldi on the 6th of july. As the confirmation e-mail I got from interrail confirms, I paid 86€ in total for two persons (41€x2 + 4€ booking fee). However the pdf tickets I got attached to the e-mail say that I only paid 3€ per person and they are for two seats, not two couchettes.

Vagonweb.cz shows that coach 3 (where I have been allocated) is normally a seat only coach. And trenitalia support confirmed to me that I have indeed been given a seat, but refused to help more. 

So now 80€ have been stolen from me, I have no way of getting this money back and I don’t even have the couchettes I paid for! I contacted interrail support with that stupid confusing chatbot, but three days later I haven’t got any response… I am leaving soon, and I would like this issue to be resolved, 80€ is a lot of money! I appreciate that it isn’t easy to have a perfect website, a few bugs are inevitable but this is to do with a big sum of money.

Does anyone here have a way to get in touch quickly with interrail/trenitalia (whoever is at fault here)? If it can help, my interrail order ID for the booking is R2022246356. Many thanks to anyone that’s willing to help, and sorry for this slightly angry message! 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 18 June 2022, 11:32

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

There are some problems with reservations for Italy. 

Maybe @seewulf or @rvdborgt knows who we can tag?

Trenitalia will say that it is not their foult because you buy it via Interrail.eu.

So best way that you get in touch with the Interrail customer service

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This has to be solved via customer service. Clearly state your travel date, so they can prioritise correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There are some problems with reservations for Italy. I will flag to Eurail staff one more time @Marion @Nanja 

Trenitalia will say that it is not their foult because you buy it via Interrail.eu.

Indeed it´s something for Customer Service

And the Reservation department should investigate how this could happen
just more Eurail staff @Felipe.iturrieta@Leo  @Magdalena  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Anywhere everywhere in all types of transport)ation) there are huge staff shortages-to the extent that DB/NRW cancels whole S-bahn lines, here in NL no trains >23.00 in some areas-no staff in the traffic centre and f.e. a Slovak bus system is free as the penalty payments due to not running all contracts are even higher. Airports are choked as no staff for the security checks etc. The list is endless. So clever staff catch their chance and go on strike-ideal time to press off higher wages.

There are some problems with reservations for Italy. I will flag to Eurail staff one more time @Marion @Nanja 

If I have already sent a message via the chatbot, should I send a new one via the written form? I don’t want to flood customer service with unnecessary requests... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If I have already sent a message via the chatbot, should I send a new one via the written form? I don’t want to flood customer service with unnecessary requests... 

It should be the same, but you can check it on the website. You sign in and you see all your requests

It should be the same, but you can check it on the website. You sign in and you see all your requests

Where on the website can you see this? I can’t find the right page... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Submit a request – Eurail Knowledge Base (zendesk.com) 

on the top right

Ok, thank you very much for your help!

@Angelo @seewulf @rvdborgt Here’s an update 2 weeks after sending the first request via customer service to interrail. I still haven’t gotten any response! 

My request is classified as « urgent », and it seems it has been seen by some kind of staff as it status was changed to « waiting for your response » at one point (without them asking a question to me). I linked more proof and information to the request so it would be easier to treat but the whole thing hasn’t given any sign of life for 10 days (« last activity » dates from then). 

It is getting quite ridiculous that they are taking this long to solve a problem where they are the only ones at fault, and that involves a 80€ scam (again, that’s really a lot of money...). Of course I won’t die if I sleep in a seat but a sleepless night would make my trip more difficult, and I would lose the money I paid. Do you have any idea of how this issue could be made known more clearly to interrail staff? I’m taking that train in a week now, if things do not move more quickly there will be no more couchettes left on the train. 

Thank you very much for all the help you have given me so far! Your quick responses really reassure me, it helps to feel someone is aware of your problem and that you aren’t lost in a maze of support websites and complaint forms. Let’s hope interrail can fix this booking system soon...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Nirlux I would suggest that you make a new booking through another website and then make sure that you get a refund from Interrail. Only to be sure that you get the reservation you want.

@Angelo Where is the best way to make a new booking?

@Nirlux I would suggest that you make a new booking through another website and then make sure that you get a refund from Interrail. Only to be sure that you get the reservation you want.

@Angelo Where is the best way to make a new booking?

The thing is, when I see how long this process is, I’m scared of having to rely on interrail’s customer support for a refund. I’m not risking using the interrail booking system again for tickets, so I would need to pay for full price tickets form trenitalia for 110€. If it’s taking two weeks to solve my easy problem, I would probably need to wait years for a refund! And wouldn’t it be much more difficult to justify my refund if I’ve bought full price tickets?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You should not make the new booking through Interrail. There are other ways to make the reservation you need where you buy only the seat/couchette/bed. I think it is via ÖBB.

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website. You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Via ÖBB it is indeed not possible to book Intercity Notte Reservations. Only at Ticket Offices of Trenitalia, SNCB/NMBS, DB or SBB CFF FFS. Maybe DB can sell it via Call Center and you have to collect it at a DB Ticket Machine in Germany. 

I think the Eurail Staff need some time to check or they are not able to cancel. I don’t think they want to scam you. But they should inform you, about the process. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

NMBS/SNCB can also book Italian domestic night trains, as we have seen recently, also by phone and they can send the reservation by e-mail.

DB can also do it by phone but I don't know if they can already send the reservations by e-mail.