Solved

Seat reservations and eurail global pass

• 13 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone again! I have now specific questions about some train routes and seat reservations on them./

I’m about to buy a 10 day Eurail global pass, to use it from the 14th to the 28th of September this year, I understood that these ten days can be used in a 2 month period, not necessarily day to day. Is that correct?

Also, I’ve read on some of the topics in this big community that seat reservations are better to book on the train’s company website rather than the eurail website. Is that correct as well? (Please don’t give me names yet of the companies because i’m really a mega rookie on this train set reservations, that will be asked on a different topic (bear with me please)

The train routes and dates that i’ll love to book without missing any of them are (all of the for 6 adults and a 2 year old baby - if you can tell me if my baby pays for a seat if so how much and in wich trains on the list below)

1. Train from Milano to Rome, on September 15th, around 6:30 am local time - one way ticket
  2. Train from Barcelona to Paris on September 18th around 2 pm local time , one-way ticket
  3. Train from Paris to London on September 21st, around 7 pm local time, one-way ticket
  4. Train from Ginebra Airport to Zermatt on September 24th, around 9 am local time, one way ticket
  5. Train from Zermatt to St Moritz (Glaciar Express) on September 25th, around 10 am local time, one way ticket.
  6. Train from St Moritz to Milano on September 25th , around 7 pm local time, one-way ticket
  7. Train from Milano to Venezia on September 26th, around 8 am local time, with same day return
  8. Train from Milano to Florence on September 28th , around 8 am local time, with same day return

These will be my 8 days using the 10-day eurail global pass, do you think it’s worth it to buy the pass or should i just buy the tickets on each traincompany for each trip? I hope this beautiful community would help me one more time.

Finnaly, if you know when i make the seat & food reservation for Glaciar Express, if I reserved 6 and at the end only have to buy 4 tickets, can i do that or i have to buy as much as i have reserved. Extra question, am i allow to bring food for my baby on all or some of those trains? And for the rest of us, is there a kitchen that sells food to passengers on the trains? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 13 June 2023, 08:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your 10 days can indeed be used within a 2-month period.

As to your reservations:

1. Milan-Rome: tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then choose "One-way tickets” (NOT "Seat reservation only”). Should be €13.
  2. Barcelona-Paris: eurail.com is the only place where you can book online. Reservation is €35 + €2 booking fee per person.
  3. Paris-London: €30 - online either on eurail.com (+€2 booking fee) or on https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (€4 booking fee per order).
  4. Geneva-Zermatt: reservation not necessary.
  5. Zermatt-St. Moritz: https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en (from 93 days in advance, CHF 49 per person). Or without any reservations on regional trains. The view is just the same :)
  6. St. Moritz-Milano: no reservation needed. But are you sure you want to do this on the same day as the Glacier Express? You'll be arriving very late in Milan.
  7. Milan-Venice: tickets.oebb.at
  8. Milan-Florence: tickets.oebb.at

A pass will most probably pay off. But if you're only using 8 travel days, you could consider buying a 7-day pass and normal tickets for the cheapest travel day.

Badge +1

From rvdborgt:

« 

1. Barcelona-Paris: eurail.com is the only place where you can book online. Reservation is €35 + €2 booking fee per person.  «       My ? What about using Eurail. Com to book Paris Gare de Lyon - Barcelona Sants , for October 9, please ?                                             Alberto.lunavega @gmail.com 
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What is your question @Piachi1982 ? The seat reservation for that very popular train costs 35€. You can book it online on eurail.com (2€ booking fee) or you can call SNCF.

Regular tickets are often a lot more expensive, especially last-minute. That train can also sell out quite a bit in advance.

Badge +1

Is there a WHATSAPP # to call SNCF to buy the ticket for TGV Paris BCN Octobre 9  please ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Is there a WHATSAPP # to call SNCF to buy the ticket for TGV Paris BCN Octobre 9  please ?

AFAIK there's only a real phone number (+33 1 84 94 3635):

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

Press #85 for English.

Currently, reservation on that route on eurail.com works for passes in 1st class, not in 2nd class. But for more than 5 people it's best to call anyway because Eurail can only handle 5 at a time for SNCF.