US citizen currently in Germany thinking about mobile rail pass. Is it worth it or will travel be a hassle?

• 6 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello and thanks to anyone taking the time to read/respond,

I received the Janssen vaccine 06/21 (single dose considered full vax in US) & just received a Moderna shot 02/22 while here in Germany. It seems some consider that fully vaxed & some consider that a booster. I do have an EU digital certificate stating some countries consider me fully vaxed in 7 days from Moderna shot, some in 14 days, some immediately. I also contracted Covid (confirmed PCR test in hand from Thailand hospital) Dec 23 with subsequent recovery.

I came to Germany to see some of where my family immigrated from, but being my first time in Europe I’d like to briefly explore some other areas (Luxembourg, Paris, Barcelona, Zurich, Prague & Amsterdam) over the next month before heading back to the states and was thinking about going the EU Rail route. If I get a PCR test before each train should I be ok given my vax & recovery status? It appears all of these areas I would like to visit are currently either open for travel or test & travel. Am I missing anything? With every planned visit being short (3-4 days) I don’t want to be spending time quarantining or being denied travel while at the station with my luggage and having to figure out new plans.

Thanks in advance for any insight :pray_tone2:

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The current rules are a mess :/

As for example Germany doesn´t recognise Janssen as full vaccinated since few days :/ (each country have it´s own view )

My Understanding is that you are due the Janssen Vaccination + the positive PCR Test fully vaccinated and because of the 2nd shot with moderna you are “boosterd”

This qualifes you to travel to Austria without any test on top (otherwise a addional PCR Test needed)

The rules change daily (often on short notice the best is to have a look on https://reopen.europa.eu/en/ as they have a overview of the current restrictions :) There is no easy answer yes or no as all depends when Vaccinated? with which kind? and how long a positive PCR test is valid? (and each Country have their own opinion about that)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sawasdee, nice to see that at least someone recently visited my very favourite country, that land of Smiles. Sorry to see you got infected.

As you say you already have that precious EUR-style QR code then for 99% you are already covered and do not need to make more tests or whatever. As for now IN DE you must be able to show this code if asked for in all public transit, and thats it. You will also need to show in about any HTL/restrt, places a tourist can hardly do without. I have never encountered any checks IN the station-that was only in FRance on some TGV trains-when all tickets are also checked airline style before boarding.

With a pass you can just hop an about any train in DE, you can reserve (4€/ride) if you want for the ICE trains, but can use any seat indicated as non-RES or perhaps from a stop much further on when you have left already.

Barca/Spain however is much more out of the way and in fact booking a cheap flite to there will be much quicker, and cheaper too as even just the supplmt you have to pay for only that TGV-ride Paris-Barca. Check easyjet or (better not Ryanair) or vueling