Eurail Pass or France Pass or Swiss Pass.

• 27 December 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi, Im new here, need to ask - as I am visiting France and Then Zurich and then back to france, so what is better for me, Eurail Pass or France Pass or Swiss Pass.

I was thinking France Mobile Pass and Swiss Pass should do. Please Suggest.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

2 passes are more expensive than one. I'd get the Global Pass. It covers all SNCF trains in France and almost all Swiss trains except the ones to mountain peaks (25-50% discount). Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen/Mürren/Grindelwald is now included.

Please note the mandatory reservations on French fast/high-speed trains :

- Intercités/TGV within France : 10€ limited fare, then 20€

- TGV from/to Switzerland : 29€ reservation

Some routes are popular so it's best to book in advance, especially on weekends. To save money cross the border on a regional train.

Questions welcome.

THanks for Advice, our planned Itenary was, In Jan 1st week, by Air to Paris first, then goto Strasburg first, stay there for 2 days, then goto Zurich, go around few places, Mt. Titlis, Interlaken and Luerne, and then back after 4 days to Strasburg stay 2 days again, then by train to Paris by 2nd week, stay there for 2 days. All by Trains, and as said earlier was planning for France Mobile Pass and Swiss Pass. 

and as per your advice I should take Global Pass, please advice again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What would you like to know ?

TGV high-speed trains between Paris and Strasbourg have a 10-20€ mandatory reservation. Book in advance, especially if you wish to get the 10€ fare.

There are direct TGVs from CDG Airport to Strasbourg. They're really convenient : that way you save a lot of time and avoid going to Paris city center (11€ ticket for the RER B, Eurail not valid).

You don't have to worry about reservations from Strasbourg to Basel and in Switzerland. Simply hop on and sit wherever you want. As a tip : the front/rear ends of the train are always less busy as people are lazy and board in the middle.

All trains on your trip will be included. Boats on Lake Thun and Brienz too but they run less often in winter.

You get 25% discount with Eurail on Titlis, Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch (buy tickets there, they cannot sell out).

Thanks a TON. You really helped me out.

So I should go with one Global Pass, but for how many days pass should I take it ( 4 or 5 or 7 or 10 ), as Specially we are going from Paris to Strasburg, then Strasburg to Zurich then back, keeping in mind we will be roaming around in Zurich neighboring places ( Interlaken, Lucerne, Mt. Titlis and all ) then to paris.

Hi, Please Anyone help me to decide,

I go with one Global Pass, we are two adults, so 2 passes,  but for how many days pass should I take it ( 4 or 5 or 7 or 10 ), as Specially we are going from Paris to Strasburg, then Strasburg to Zurich then back Zurich to Strasburg, keeping in mind we will be roaming around in Zurich neighboring places ( Interlaken, Lucerne, Mt. Titlis and all ) then Strasburg to paris.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

First make a plan, with timetables, and only then decide which pass to take. Without that, it's very difficult to advise.

Hi, Our Planned Itenery -

On 9th Jan Landing in Paris Airport CDG, then by train we are going from Paris to Strasburg, staying in Strasburg for 9th and 10th, then 11th morning from Strasburg to Zurich, spend 4 days there (11,12,13,14 night in Zurich). 

Plan to See - one day Interlaken - Jungfrau, next day Mt. Titlis, Lucerne and Zurich.

15th Morning then back from Zurich to Strasburg, Stay there again for 15th and 16th night, 

then 17th Morning from Strasburg to paris

Stay in Paris for 17th, 18, 19, and fly back to Toronto from Paris.

Now please Advice…….. is Global pass right for my trip, and also need to know weather we will be getting discounts on Global pass, ones we go to Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis. 

We are two adults, so 2 passes ( Which Pass ??? ),  but for how many days pass should I take it ( 4 or 5 or 7 or 10 )

Please Advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I see direct TGVs from CDG Airport to Strasbourg leaving at 08:59, 11:22, 14:59, 17:29 (all 10€). This is a way more convenient option than going via Paris itself. Have a good margin after the flight as the train won't wait for you. You'd have to buy new reservations.

I count 7 travel days : 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 so get a 7 day Global Pass (2nd or 1st class). Travel within Paris + RER to the airport is not included, get separate tickets/Navigo passes there.

Book reservations for CDG Airport - Strasbourg + Strasbourg - Paris-Est in advance. They're required and these trains do sell out. Use https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish if you want to save booking fees (4€ per order, compared to 2€ per person per train through Eurail).

The rest of the trip will be easy : check timetables, go to the station, log the train you'd like to take to the app, hop on and sit wherever you want. The front/rear ends are always less busy. I'd recommend using SBB app.

Info on discounts is easily available on this forum or online but I'm feeling generous so I'll help you... you get 25% discount on Jungfrau (still 150 CHF per person) and Titlis (75 CHF). Trains until Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen or Engelberg are frequent and fully included.

Check this helpful page : https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm