Skip to main content
Solved

France-Germany Pass - public transportation

• 23 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone,

My friends and I have received the Interrail France-Germany Pass and will be traveling by train from Germany to France in September. In Germany, you can use the pass to travel on public transportation. Now we're wondering, can we also use the Interrail France-Germany Pass for public transportation in France?

Thanks in advance for the answers

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No you're confusing 2 things : the free pass from both governments only covers trains in Germany too (incl. S-Bahn) while the 49€ Deutschland-Ticket covers everything on the other hand.

No you're confusing 2 things : the free pass from both governments only covers trains in Germany too (incl. S-Bahn) while the 49€ Deutschland-Ticket covers everything on the other hand.

Sorry, that was what I meant.

But how does the pass work in France? Does the free pass cover the metro in Paris for example?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, it only covers trains + rail replacement buses (in the rural regions) run by SNCF.

Not covered : Paris RER network (even if they are considered trains), subways, buses, trams, Frecciarossa trains, low-cost Ouigo trains.

No, it only covers trains + rail replacement buses (in the rural regions) run by SNCF.

Not covered : Paris RER network (even if they are considered trains), subways, buses, trams, Frecciarossa trains, low-cost Ouigo trains.

Okay I see. Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're welcome.

Also a reminder that you'll need to pay seat reservations on IC and TGV high-speed trains : limited 10€ fare, then 20€ until the train sells out.

I'd recommend booking a few days in advance depending on where you're going. Peak season will be past but most TGVs leave full regardless of the month.

Book here to save booking fees (4€ per order compared to 2€ per person per train on interrail.eu) : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

Do not hesitate for further questions.