Solved

inbound/outbound query

• 11 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone, I am currently residing in Germany. I have recently purchased interrail global pass (10 days in 2 months). I have planned 2 trips.

First stralsund-hamburg-copenhagen and vice versa. This means I will use 2 travel days and inbound/outbound days as well right?

Second one is Hannover-Paris-Bern-Zurich-Hannover. So from Hannover to Paris there’s a change in Cologne. Then there’s a eurostar direct connection to Paris. So, as per my understanding I have used all the inbound/outbound trips. Do I need to purchase ticket for Hannover to Paris whole trip or just for Hannover to Cologne? I am a little confused here; is my interrail pass valid for train from cologne to paris. or if I have to leave Germany every time I need to buy a new ticket and use interrail pass outside of the home country.

Thank you in advance. I am really looking forward to your inputs!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 11 December 2023, 15:12

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Once you use your 2 in/out days then you cannot use the pass for any further travel within Germany, this includes international trains for the part they are in Germany..

In that scenario the Cologne - Paris would have to be separately paid for Cologne to border/border station/first station outside Germany. With the cost of Interrail reservations for TGVs on top It may well be cheaper to just buy regular tickets for this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Once you use your 2 in/out days then you cannot use the pass for any further travel within Germany, this includes international trains for the part they are in Germany..

In that scenario the Cologne - Paris would have to be separately paid for Cologne to border/border station/first station outside Germany. With the cost of Interrail reservations for TGVs on top It may well be cheaper to just buy regular tickets for this.

Possibly better to travel on the ICE service From Cologne to Brussels rather than the Eurostar. You could get an advance ticket for Hanover to Liege Gullemins for about 30 euro and then use your pass (staying on the train to Brussels). (Change at Koln).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’d keep the inbound/outbound journeys for Hannover - Paris and Zurich - Hannover.

Then use your Deutschlandticket (if you have it) for Stralsund - Denmark. For example :

• RB Stralsund Hbf - Rostock Hbf 07:59 - 08:55
  • RE Rostock Hbf - Hamburg Hbf 09:08 - 11:38
  • RE Hamburg Hbf - Flensburg 12:43 - 14:40 (or an hour earlier if you’re extremely lucky with DB)

You’d need a ticket from Flensburg to Flensburg(Gr) → official border point. Should cost a few € (for a few km...) and only available at counters.

Or buy a ticket as far as Padborg on the direct IC through DB. It’s easier ofc.

I’m almost certain this will be cheaper than a ticket to the French/Belgian border.