Skip to main content
Solved

Interrail “5 days within 1 month pass” vs. individual train ticket purchases

Hi All,

I am planning a circular route around central Europe staying around 2 days at 7 cities.

Planned route is as follows:

Prague (2 nights) -> Berlin (2 nights) -> Amsterdam (2 nights) -> Brussels (2 nights) ->Paris (2 nights) -> Zurich (2 nights) -> Munich (2 nights) -> Vienna (1 night) -> London (Home)

There was a sale last week, so I bought 2 Eurostar tickets between Amsterdam -> Brussels -> Paris.

For the remaining “5 travel days”, I am thinking of getting an Interrail “5 days within 1 month pass”.

I’ve just checked a train ticket from Paris to Zurich (direct), on 14th August, second class departing from Gare De Lyon for 2 people, and the train fare is €262.

Interrail “5 day pass” cost is around €100 per person for each travel day, so I should benefit from the Interrail pass when I travel from Paris to Zurich. Do you think it makes sense?

If not, how would you plan the second part of the trip after Paris,  e.g. Paris (2 nights) -> Zurich (2 nights) -> Munich (2 nights) -> Vienna (1 night)?

Thanks

21 replies

Badge +5

I’d buy a pass as you will be more flexible. Paris to Zurich has mandatory reservations and a big supplement so direct comparison is impossible as train fares are dynamically priced in Europe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If you cross a lot of countries, an Interrail/Eurail usually makes good sense. Did you calculate seat reservations in it, some seat reservations comes with a significant extra cost, but these can be avoided.

You already did good to get ordinary Eurostar tickets on a sale, their seat reservation prices with interrail are exorbitant for such a relatively short route between Amsterdam-Brussels-Paris, costing more than the cheapest advance tickets or discounted tickets.

Price per travel day for a 5 day pass should be +/- 63 EUR, quite good value when travelling in summer.

You can minimise reservation cost to Zurich by taking the TGV to Mulhouse or Strasbourg (10 or 20 EUR per seat reservation) and continuing by TER to Basel, from where you can continue to Zurich with Swiss domestic trains without any reservation. Which would make it about 70-80 Eur per person for that route, instead of a direct fare of 262 EUR, big saving already! Just taking a bit more time.

Switzerland is rather pricey for ordinary tickets, so the pass is rather good good value there to do some sightseeing in Switerland itself, or between Munich and Zürich (chose a random day in August and prices for ordinary tickets was easily 70-80 EUR, so pass is a bit cheaper).

München - Vienna, can be done cheaper with ordinary tickets when booking it now, but you’ll lack flexibility then for spontaneous breaks or reroutings along the way.

Note that cross border trains in and out Germany will have mandatory reservation this summer (but these reservations are quite cheap, only a few euro’s per seat)

Thank you both for the prompt responses.

BrendanDB – I am happy to try the way you suggest i.e. via Mulhouse or Strasbourg, but slightly nervous about the time it will add to the 4h direct train. With the changes, I hope it would not end up a 6h train journey.

I think you both support the InterRail 5 day flex pass. I haven’t used interrail before. I watched a guidance YouTube video and as I understand, you just book your journey using the app. Once you use it on a journey, that day counts as a “travel day” and taken off you allowance. During that day, you can take as many trains as you want, with the caveat that some trains may require reservation.

Is there a way to see the reservation fees on the app, and offer alternative routes to avoid the high reservation fees (like you suggested)?

Like when using a SatNav, and you get a warning of a “toll road” and you have the option to ask for a detour to avoid the toll…

That would be very helpful if there is.

Thanks

Badge +5

The app does normally tell you if a supplement is required. It’s normally best to reserve on the DB or ÖBB site rather than the Eurail one. Sadly reservations are very complex however experienced you are. Given that the passes are very cheap (in my view) I never worry about how high the supplements are except for Brussels Amsterdam which is easily avoided. If you have a lot of luggage the Lyria direct to Zurich might make sense it just depends on your own circumstances. The British site The Man in seat 61 will answer many of your questions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Paris-Zurich, with a Change in Mulhouse or Strasbourg to the TER doesn’t take that much more time. It’s a matter of minutes, since the TGVs take the same route as all other trains on the last part to Switzerland, they’re not faster than any other train :).

Once in Switzerland, connections are made to work, even if it’s only 5 minutes time, don’t be afraid of that.

The youtube guide videos are of differing quality.

We always refer to the website of the mean in seat 61, really golden, especially these pages:

https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-an-interrail-pass.htm

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

@BrendanDB Hi again. So I bought the 4 day interrail pass. So the plan is as follows:

Travel Day 1: Berlin to Amsterdam 08th August

… I have the connecting Eurostar tickets from AMS → Brussels and later, Brussles → Pais...

Travel Day 2: Paris to “Switzerland”. I write Switzerland as I have not fully defined where to yet. I am thinking of going from Paris → Geneva in the late evening. I stay at Geneva the night of 15th Aug.

On 16th Aug, I travel and do sightseeing Geneva city centre. I stay at Geneva 2nd night (16th Aug.). 

Travel day 3: On 17th Aug, in the morning, I check out from hotel and depart from Geneva to… Zurich via Bernina Express. Please confirm Bernina Express is included in the Interrail?

17th Aug, in the evening I arrive in Zurich, check into a hotel.

Travel Day 4: On 18th Aug, I travel from Zurich to Vienna, probably arriving in the late evening.

… and I fly out from Vienna to London on the morning of 19th Aug.

Do you think this sounds like a good plan? I am keen to board the Swiss Scenic train. I’d like to do that during the day and use my Interrail Travel  Day for one of my allowances. I don’t mind which city I start my journey from, it does not need to be Geneva, however, after my Scenic journey, I’d like to end at a city where I can take a good connection to Vienna (on 18th Aug).

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Do you mean the Bernina express or do you mean the Glacier express? Both need a reservation, and it’s rather pricey, although you can take normal reservation regional trains on the same route. There’s a part of the train on the Bernina Express that is not reservable, and it’s usually much calmer than the rest of the train, usually the first three carriages.

Genève to Zürich, via the Bernina is a long way round. If I were you, I’lld continue a bit further into Switzerland, like to Lausanne or Montreux. After your visit there, I’lld continue via Montreux-Zweisimmen-Spiez-Interlaken to Luzern, via the Golden pass train line. Equally scenic, but you’ll spend a bit less time on trains. Bernina is the complete other side of Switzerland, and might be difficult to do on one day.

@BrendanDB Thank you so much. It makes more sense now.

After my post, I searched the internet and found out more on the Bernina Express and Glacier Express. Like you say they are on the South-East side of Switzerland.

So I will go with your advice.

Thurs 15th Aug – Like you suggest, I could travel from Paris to Lausanne and stay there for the night.

Fri 16th Aug - travel from Lausanne -> Montreux, early in the morning and then catch Montreux-Zweisimmen-Spiez-Interlaken to Luzern. Stay the night at Luzern.

Question 1: I haven’t checked the train times, but would the train times work?

Question 2: Is “Golden pass train line” included in InterRail? And do I need to reserve seats?

Sat 17th Aug – travel from Luzern -> Zurich. Stay the night at Zurich

Sun 18th Aug – travel from Zurich to Vienna

How does the above sound? Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

One adress for the timetables: www.sbb.ch/en (use the via option in the search window, to get the suggested route!). Note that connections in Switzerland are made to work, even if it’s only five minutes. Don’t be afraid of that.

Luzern-Zürich is only 40 or 50 minutes by train, so I wouldn’t stay in Zürich for only one night. Just go directly from Luzern, via Zürich, to the train to Vienna. That will work out perfectly as well, and you’ll have a less nomadic stay in Switzerland and save a pass day for something nicer ;)

Then you can use a pass day to explore other scenic railways around Luzern, or a bit further away (like Rhätische Bahn/parts of the Bernina Express route are a lot closer to Luzern than to Genève).

Golden pass is included in the Interrail stuff, but I don’t know exactly about reservations. @thibcabe probably knows the answer :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I've been summoned. :)

Reservations on the whole Golden Pass route are optional and I've never had an issue finding a seat. If you board at the departure station it will totally be fine.

I know there's a whole marketing on the new Golden Pass Express between Montreux and Interlaken. These non-stop trains can get quite busy but at the moment they don't run all the way anyway due to technical issues (again).

Hi @thibcabe thank you for the  prompt reply.

The website says:

Limited train service at Montreux. This is due to construction work.
The restriction lasts from 22.07.2024, 00:00 until 14.08.2024, 23:59.

I am planning to travel on 16th Aug at the earliest so I’d like to think that engineering works will be finished by then.

So the Golden Pass would make sense then… with no reservation fees either which is a bonus.

@BrendanDB
SBB.CH is very helpful using the via function. I have been searching trains using: www.thetrainline.com which is hopeless when compared to SBB.

So my trip would look like below:

Thurs 15th Aug – Travel from Paris to Lausanne and stay there for the night at Lausanne.

Fri 16th Aug - travel from Lausanne -> Montreux, early in the morning and then catch Golden Express, Luzern. Stay the night at Luzern.

Sat 17th Aug – Spare day (not travelling to Zurich anymore). Stay the night at Luzern.

Sun 18th Aug – travel from Luzern -> Zurich -> Vienna same day.

I now have a spare day. Do you think it is worth staying at Lausanne for 1 more night and start the Golden Express on Sat 17th or, stick to the plan above and there’s more things to do around Luzern?

I know the answer is preferential but just asking where would you spend the extra day? Lausanne or Luzern?

Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

To avoid stress, you could also leave Luzern 30 or 60 minutes earlier. I make always so if I have a connection in Zürich for an international train running only every two hours.

On the Golden Pass line you have also the old trains every hour from Montreux to Zweisimmen. One of them is a « Belle-Époque » train, but the cars are not original historic cars, they were refurbished in old style.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I would say Lausanne because I was born in this city, it is not neutral.

It depends what do you want to make in this spare day. Both cities have a lake and you can take a boat, search pictures of Lavaux or of the Lake Lucerne to find what landscape is more attractive for you. Luzern is better if you want take a cable car and a mountain railway (Pilatus for example).

You can also choose museums, for example the Olympic Musuem in Lausanne or the Museum of Transport in Luzern.

@Danhiel and @BrendanDB -

Thank you both. I take your advice on this, so revised plan is as follows, I’d appreciate your comments: 

Thurs 15th Aug – travel from Paris -> Lausanne (train arrives late)

Stay the night at Lausanne (night 1)

Fri 16th Aug – Stay at Lausanne for the day and explore the lake Lac Leman.

Stay the night at Lausanne (night 2)

Sat 17th Aug – travel from Lausanne (08:50) -> Montreux (09:10)

Take Golden Pass Express from Montreux (09:34) -> Interlaken West (12:44)

Spend 5 hours exploring the area and having lunch. Walk to Interlaken Ost.

Take Luzern Interlaken Express from Interlaken Ost. (18:04)  -> Luzern (19:55)

Stay the night at Luzern (night 3)

Sun 18th Aug – travel from Luzern -> Zurich -> Vienna.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@TiredParent Seems like a sound plan, with a lot of very enjoyable alpine sights in equally enjoyable trains. Have fun on your travels!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not really interesting to spend 5 hours in Interlaken. I suggest to make an excursion to Grindelwald or Mürren.

@Danhiel  Ok can do, but it looks like Grindelwald / Mürren are both 15-20km from Interlaken. Is there any type of transport which would allow me to go and return? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yes, you have direct trains to Grindelwald or a combination train - cable car - train to Mürren. You can find the timetables in the Rail Planner (search Muerren Blm) or on sbb.ch. Your pass is valid, but not between these two destinations via Kleine Scheidegg. 

Hi All,

Firstly thank you for your helpful comments to plan my journey.

I booked Paris -> Geneva direct train… making reservation only to Bellegarde. I spoke to the ticket inspector on the train and asked him  politely if we could stay on the train all the way to Geneva. He said ok so we did not have to change at Bellegarde. This was nice.

We stayed 1 night at Geneva. I loved this city!

The next day, we checked out from the hotel and travelled to Lausanne. This is my favourite city… It is stunningly beautiful. We sat at a café called Cote Lac by the Lac Leman and enjoyed a beer with snacks.

The next day, we checked out from the hotel and travelled to Montreux to take the Golden Pass Express.

There was no direct train to Interlaken Ost. We had to change and wait at Zweisimmen. The second train was not panoramic. This is against what the train company claims on their website:

https://www.gpx.swiss/fr/

https://www.gpx.swiss/en/pages/the-train

It was a bit disappointing….

Anyway, we arrived at Interlaken Ost to take the Interlaken – Luzern express.

A section of track was damaged due to floods so we started our journey with a replacement bus service from Interlaken Ost to Meiringen. Bus was overcrowded with passengers and luggage. And no “spectacular scenery” to view on the road in traffic!

We then took a regular train from Meiringen to Luzern.

The second leg of the journey was also a bit disappointing with the bus service etc…

Anyway, Switzerland is spectacular. Those of you living there are so lucky! I fell in love with the country and will definitely be back again.

I suppose I was a bit unlucky with the train service but everything else was great.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@TiredParent 

Thanks for your report.

I live in Switzerland and I could travel every day in the Alps, but I have also an Interrail Global Pass to visit other countries.

The Golden Pass Express had again technical problems but I think that safety comes first. And we had a lot of floods this year, climate change?

Yes, I understand. It is definitely the flash floods which are an indication of the climate change.

In fact, we were caught up in the rain at Lausanne on Friday 16th Aug in the late afternoon. The weather was so nice that we did not take our umbrellas. It was so hot when we walked along the lake towards Montreux, we had to stop in the shade few times. People were swimming in the lake. About half hour later, rain started when we were sat at Cote Lac. I thought it was only a shower and would be gone in no time. However it got more intense. We didn’t have anywhere to take cover so ran under a tree. The rain got worse and we were soaking wet… I saw a bus approaching so I jumped across the road to stop the bus. I waved at the driver asking him to stop. He indicated that he is not going to… I was desperate, indicating putting my hands together begging him to stop, but he did not. So a couple was in a parked car by the road waiting for the rain to ease. They must have been watching me beg the bus driver to stop. We had an eye contact… I asked them if they would take us to the town centre. Luckily, they said yes. They took us all the way to our hotel’s doorstep. I am grateful for their kindness. Brilliant people! 

My bag, wallet, phone, shoes, clothes everything was soaking wet… I don’t remember if I ever got this much wet under the rain.