Solved

Paris to Rome travelling on 4 Feb 24

• 3 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 13 replies

Pls help, I am worried about my route and connecting. Seems route is joining local trains and is not an international route.

Are the stops & connecting time’s realistic? They seem so short to me.

Is the route and arrival at the stations safe esp during the times with small kids? Is there a way to get another route?

What options do I have for someone travelling tomorrow? Is it better to book flights? Is this route worth it?

Outward
Paris Est - Roma Termini

Departure:        Sun 04 Feb 2024 at 06:52
Arrival:        Sun 04 Feb 2024 at 20:10
Travel time:        13:48
Changes:        3
Class:        First Class

Routedetails

D        06:52        Paris Est    
A        09:26        Karlsruhe Hbf     
    Transfer (33 min.)    
D        09:59        Karlsruhe Hbf    
A        12:56        Bern     
    Transfer (38 min.)    
D        13:34        Bern    
A        16:40        Milano Centrale     
    Transfer (18 min.)    
D        16:58        Milano Centrale    
A        20:10        Roma Termini

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 3 February 2024, 23:50

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Karlsruhe is a large detour and I'd suggest avoiding Germany (and its usual delays) whenever possible.

This looks better using long-distance trains and a very good 200 km/h regional train :

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 07:58 - 09:59 10€ -> 320 km/h high-speed train

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 10:51 - 12:08 -> very comfortable 1st class carriage :)

- EC Basel SBB - Milano Centrale 12:28 - 16:40 13€ -> beautiful scenery, plenty of 1st class seats left

- FR Milano Centrale - Roma Termini 16:58 - 20:10 possible but I'd go with 17:35 - 20:34 13€

As you're booking things last-minute all 1st class seats are sold out on late afternoon trains out of Milan. Travel in 2nd class and the system will try to sit you together (might not be possible but you can always people onboard gently to move).

Book through Rail Europe (desktop version, no fees) or have a look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

It's a long journey for sure but scenery in Switzerland is quite nice and 1st class will be comfortable.

You've also already got passes while last-minute flights will be very expensive. Definitely take the train! :)

Questions very welcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@thibcabe was faster :)
I was going to propose something similar...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you're booking things last-minute all 1st class seats are sold out on late afternoon trains out of Milan.

I still see availability in 1st class (Business) on the 16:58 and 17:35 departures.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Only 1 seat though and from their other post they're 4 people.

Badge

Thank u very much for your help

Managed to book this one for 2 adults and 2 kids…is the cost reasonable? I feel the seat reservation fees were very high given I had a global pass.

Paris to Basel - Standard Class - Aud $196
Basel to Milan - First Class - Aud 87.90
Milan to Rome - Business Class - Aud 87.90

Total - Aud $371.60

Loving the Milan to Rome business class…..there is wifi, seats very comfy, beautiful experience and we even got snacks.

Also loved the beautiful scenic route from Basel to Milan? Problem is no food/snacks, no wifi.

Question - how is the train station in Rome?

Is it safe given we get there after 8pm?

Is there anything I should be aware of?

Any recommendations on what I can entertain my 7 year old with once in Rome?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the feedback.

Fees depend on the company and international TGVs (Paris - Basel) are the most expensive, esp. in 1st class. It was even more expensive until last year! Pretty annoying but there are ways to avoid them.

Going via Strasbourg would have saved you 200 AUD. Lesson learned for next time!

Yes food is rarely included but you get at seat service (not possible in 2nd class). You mainly choose 1st class for the bigger seats and less people around.

Roma Termini is a big station so there will definitely be lots of people around. Be careful as usual and it'll go well.

Enjoy the last leg! :)