Solved

PRAGUE TO ZURICH 00:40 TO 13:20

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HI COMMUNITY, I am trying to book Prague to Zurich from 00:40 to 13:20 train with 2 lay overs. The website says I need seat reservations for the first 2 trains but it does not show/allow prices to reserve it for. How do I go about it? 2nd questions, for the 3rd train from SALZBURG HBF to ZUERICH HB it says tickets are recommended but not required with a price. Should I get these optional tickets?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 April 2024, 09:04

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This seems like an awful journey, you won't sleep at all and you'll be exhausted the next day (at least...).

The first 2 trains are night trains, reservations are required. However they might not sell them or let you board at 3am.

EDIT : they do not.

The third train shouldn't be too busy. You can make a reservation on the Austrian website (ÖBB) for much less money: 3€ per person incl. seat selection with a map.

Honestly please research another itinerary. There are 2 very good night trains between both cities, leaving at around 6pm.

General guide for the best places to book: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Here are 2 good options (book ASAP):

- EN Praha hl.n. - Zürich HB via Austria 18:20 - 08:20 200€ for a sleeper with ensuite WC/shower (100€ pp)

- EN Praha hl.n. - Zürich HB via Germany 18:28 - 09:05 196€ for a regular double sleeper (98€ pp)

Both with comfortable private compartments, I've just tried one last week! Definitely worth the price for a good experience.

For the latter train, couchettes in shared compartments available for 54€ pp.

Feel free to ask anything.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @thibcabe , thank you very much. Could you please advise how to book the latter option with shared compartment? Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go to https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket

Where it says ‘1 adult without discounts’, click Change to add the second passenger, and both your railpasses.

Then search for ‘One Way tickets and day tickets’. You should see a single train journey with no changes, and then you can click through to see the sleeper options.

EDIT: Don’t forget to select the correct date. I assume you want to leave on the evening to the 28th, not the very early morning of the 29th!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Best place will be can be online at the Czech Railways website www.cd.cz.  Before running the enquiry, click where it says 1 x Adult 26-64 No discount card then click on No discount card , click Interrail and Eurail Pass then select the one you have. Select the type of accomodation you want and you can reserve.  You print your own ticket or can show it on your phone.

This community guide is also helpful:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks @thibcabe @BrendanDB just to confirm am I doing this right? Below picture 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It is coming to CZK 2,786 ~ $117 for 2 persons (1 adult 1 junior) with global passes

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, that price sounds correct for two places in 6-berth couchette. 

There are other sleeping options, for a slightly higher price.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So I am getting 2 train options for same time and no transfers. 

train 1 gives me option to purchase 2 tickets for FREE and then purchase 2 reservations only for 155CZK

train 2 gives me option to purchase the 2 tickets for 2786 CZK.

i am lost… please help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s the same train. I think perhaps in the database twice, as two separate trains, to appeal to different markets.

Train 1 is EC = Eurocity (only seats)

Train 2 is EN = Euronight (sleeping accommodation)

Reserve Train 2 unless you want to be in a seat all night!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's the same train but the seating carriages show as EuroCity (option 1) while the couchette/sleeper carriages as EuroNight (option 2).

Choose the second option for 2 couchettes. :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @ralderton, thanks!! Yes Train 1 is Euro city and train 2 is euro night.. I guess they are same train but different carriages? But I don’t understand, how the Train 1 ticket is free?? Is it because I have global pass? Then why it’s not the same case for Train 2? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @ralderton, thanks!! Yes Train 1 is Euro city and train 2 is euro night.. I guess they are same train but different carriages? But I don’t understand, how the Train 1 ticket is free?? Is it because I have global pass? Then why it’s not the same case for Train 2? 

The difference is on Train 2 you are paying for the sleeping accommodation. 

If you want to sit on seats, on Train 1, you don’t need to pay any extra. It’s what I used to do when I was in my 20s. Not so much in my 40s!

In both cases, the ‘travel’ is covered by your pass.

Yes, it’s effectively different carriages on the same train.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I really appreciate your inputs guys. @ralderton @thibcabe @BrendanDB . I have some more questions about my itinerary. First time traveling with Eurail pass and this thing is all over the places.. Would any of you be kind enough to guide me on some specifics? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Best remove your number, you might get some spam otherwise. 

Feel free to ask all of your questions here on the community, you'll get an answer in no time. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks. What’s the best way to take the Bernia Express? My route is Zurich/Bern to Milan. I guess I have to make stops at Chur and Tirano for this. I can leave Zurich/Bern anytime after 00:00 on May 1st and plan to be at Milan by 10-11AM. Any insights would be helpful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Bernina Express is one of the most beautiful trips in Europe, and well worth doing. You can leave Zurich at 0707, and be in Milan by afternoon.

Example timetable here, but this is just the main trains on the route - there are more trains if you want to leave a bit later

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm#Train_times,_fares_&_how_to_buy_tickets

No reservation necessary, just turn up and go. (You can buy a reservation in the panorama cars, but I don’t think it’s worth it. Just sit in the unreserved cars at the back)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I really appreciate your inputs guys. @ralderton @thibcabe @BrendanDB . I have some more questions about my itinerary. First time traveling with Eurail pass and this thing is all over the places.. Would any of you be kind enough to guide me on some specifics? 

I think it’s better to post questions on here in the forum, so that others can benefit from it, but happy to give you a ring if it’s helpful and we can find a good time. I’m on London time.