Solved

Seat Reservation for domestic routes within Italy

• 8 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi team,

I hold a first class Eurail pass

I understand that under OBB, we need to select one way/ day tickets for Trains going from Austria to Italy. We cannot use “seat reservation only” option

However quickly wanted to check what should we choose for certain domestic Italy routes like :

1. Venice - Rome
  2. Rome-Naples
  3. Day trip Rome-Pisa-Rome

Can I use “seat reservation only” or “day ticket” on OBB? Or can I directly book with Italian operator

Also, what about non-Italy routes like Zurich - Venice?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by ralderton 8 December 2023, 18:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s still ‘one way tickets and day tickets’ for any domestic train in Italy. 

€13 for a high speed train (FR, FA, FB) and €3 for an Intercity.

For Zurich-Venice, you’ll probably have to pay twice. €13 for the Eurocity to Milan, then another €13 for the FR to Venice. You can avoid the fee on the Eurocity by taking regional trains across the border.

As far as I'm aware, the Switzerland-Italy trains include the Eurail supplement and a seat reservation, but the €10 on the Austria-Italy trains is just the supplement, and you can add a seat reservation if you wish.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I'm aware, the Switzerland-Italy trains include the Eurail supplement and a seat reservation, but the €10 on the Austria-Italy trains is just the supplement, and you can add a seat reservation if you wish.

Correct. This reservation is free of charge in 1st class.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Correct. This reservation is free of charge in 1st class.

But you will still be charged for the cross border supplement (15 euro first class). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

AFIK there are only 3 online sources of domestic Italian reservations.

Eurail/Interrail reservation service.

OBB website as detailed in earlier posts.

Italiarail has a dedicated site for Interrail reservations. https://partners.italiarail.com/default?force_pass=true&aff=EURAIL