Solved

Tirano To Chur Bernia Express

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, we will be missing our train today’s 10:06 Tirano to Chur Bernia express train. If we take a later train, would we be still able to see the same views? 

icon

Best answer by MartinM 2 May 2024, 10:16

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sure, they all have the same views. Simply take the 11:00 service or even later.

Either change in St. Moritz or in Pontresina + Samedan (faster).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@thibcabe Just checking online, the st moritz to chur like disrupted with 4 more stops 🙄 https://www.sbb.ch/en?date=%222024-05-02%22&moment=%22DEPARTURE%22&selected_trip=2&stops=%5B%7B%22value%22%3A%228509369%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22ID%22%2C%22label%22%3A%22Tirano%22%7D%2C%7B%22value%22%3A%228509000%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22ID%22%2C%22label%22%3A%22Chur%22%7D%5D&time=%2208%3A00%22

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Zuoz to Zernez is not the famous line. If you take the IR38 from Samedan to Chur, then you will travel on the world-famous Albula line. There seems to be no interruption as far as I can see.

This would be the connection:

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @MartinM. I was actually planning Tirano- St. moritz- Chur line. Do you recommend Sameden- chur over this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's the same line. St. Moritz is a little branch.

As long as you don't go via Zernez (incl. replacement bus) you'll travel along the UNESCO listed Albula railway 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The link @MartinM provided is the full scenic “Bernina" route, this is the best for scenic views.

Just with the regional trains it requires the 2 easy changes.

The route you linked has both a bus section and a very long tunnel. It is also scenic as is just about everything in that region.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We actually left Milano this morning towards Tirano to catch the 10:06 Tirano train to Chur via St. moritz. But mistakenly we boarded on the wrong train and ended up in TURINO instead of TIRANO. How silly… we were in a rush so didn’t quite catch the name difference and took the wrong platform. 

Now we are on our way back to Milano from TURINO. We will arrive Milan at 12:50. 

I see 2 options. 

1. take the 13:20 train from Milano-Tirano-Pontresina-Samedan-Chur-Zurich at 22:48. Basically whole day in the train. I don’t mind it considering the weather (rain and fog) would it be worth it? 

2. Take the fast speed train at 13:10 from Milano and be in Zurich 17:27. Even if the weather is little favorable, would it be possible to catch the views on a fast speed train from Milano to Zurich for some self consideration? 

I am okay with both options but I just want to make sure if I am spending those extra hours on the train, I would be able to catch the views. 

Please advise. This TIRANO TURINO just messed up the whole thang… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah...

If you're up for it I'd still do the Bernina line. It's May, sunset is quite late. The route is stunning all year round in all weather.

The direct train to Zurich takes the old Gotthard route (since the base tunnel is closed due to a freight train derailment) so it's still somewhat scenic. There's a highway right in the valley so it's not the same but it remains the Alps!

To save money you could take the hourly RE to Lugano and then switch to any train towards Zurich. Reservations not required that way.

Whatever you prefer. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok I think I’m up for it… we will take the long route. Do you recommend via St. moritz or the Pontresina-Samedan way? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Take the route via Pontresina-Samedan.
Via St. Moritz is just a short branch line, but you will not see more scenery etc. but it will cost you at least one hour I guess extra… so definitely do the changing in Pontresina and Samedan! This are guaranteed connections, so if nothing extraordinary happens, the connections will work.