Solved

Could I please get help re: using printed tickets and a mobile pass

• 10 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi,

I have a global mobile pass for 15 days travel over 2 months and have downloaded the Rail Planner app onto my Android device (Samsung). 

I have also downloaded the SNCB app for b-europe tickets.

I have bought a few tickets for travel from both Eurostar and b-europe using my laptop.

My first date of travel is this Tues July 12th, 2022. I have activated the mobile pass for that day so it says 1/15 travel days used. The ticket I purchased for the 12th July London → Paris trip was through Eurail/Eurostar via their website on my laptop. I have the printed tickets.

I have bought other tickets eg Paris → Brussels. The b-europe tickets appear with a QR code in the SNCB app (but not in the Rail Planner app).

I am confused about what to do next. My questions are:  

1. Even though I have a hardcopy of the printed tickets for the 12th July purchased from Eurostar - do I need to get an electronic version of those tickets on my phone in the Rail Planner app?
  2. From the 16th July I next go from Paris → Brussels. This is with a b-europe ticket that I have a printed copy but also a mobile version in the SNCB app with a QR code. Same question as 1. - do these tickets need to show up in the Rail Planner app? 

Thanks for reading. 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 11 July 2022, 08:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No tickets will show in you app as the reservation are separate from the app.

I recommend you to deactivate you pass and only activate it just before boarding your first train on the 12th. If your travel plans change in the last moment you risk loosing a travel day if the pass is activated in advance. You can read more about this below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Badge

Hi @AnnaB. Thanks for that information. That answers most of my questions. 

I understand the activation process - at least for the first trip and that makes sense. 

But for the next trips 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. if I make a reservation and buy a ticket using one of the websites in the link 

How do I get the details of those trips into the Rail Planner and activate the 2nd day, 3rd day, etc. 

Does the ticket inspector look at the ticket I have printed off, or do they look at the Rail Planner, or both? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @AnnaB

How do I get the details of those trips into the Rail Planner and activate the 2nd day, 3rd day, etc. 

Does the ticket inspector look at the ticket I have printed off, or do they look at the Rail Planner, or both? Thanks

When you travel on a train where you have a reservation you show both the reservation and the ticket (QR code) in your app.

Have you looked at the film about how to use the mobile pass?

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/interrail-mobile-pass/getting-started

Badge

Hi. Thanks, yeah I have had a look at that.

This is the part I still don’t understand,

“When you travel on a train where you have a reservation you show both the reservation and the ticket (QR code) in your app.”

I paid around 30 euros for a train from London to Paris Nord on 12th July in the morning. I have the tickets printed off. 

Do I still need to add that train journey in the app? 

But I will hopefully meet someone at the station and I will ask there. 

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi. Thanks, yeah I have had a look at that.

This is the part I still don’t understand,

“When you travel on a train where you have a reservation you show both the reservation and the ticket (QR code) in your app.”

I paid around 30 euros for a train from London to Paris Nord on 12th July in the morning. I have the tickets printed off. 

Do I still need to add that train journey in the app? 

But I will hopefully meet someone at the station and I will ask there. 

Thanks.

Yes, you need to add the journey to your Trip in your app and then connect that journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code). You must have the ticket before boarding the train. If you don't have that and the train staff are in a bad mood they can give you a fine for travelling without a ticket.

The 30 EUR you paid is the seat reservation on the Eurostar.

I have the same problem...the APP does not SEE my actual ticket...I added the journey to the app but it doesn’t seem to realize I bought a ticket and have a seat reserved...how can I make it see and then show the actual ticket with the seat number???

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have the same problem...the APP does not SEE my actual ticket...I added the journey to the app but it doesn’t seem to realize I bought a ticket and have a seat reserved...how can I make it see and then show the actual ticket with the seat number???

You can't.

The reservation are separate from the app. You will never have a ticket with the seat number. You have the reservation with the seat number and then the ticket with the QRcode in the app.