Solved

Delays/Cancellations with a Mobile Pass

• 28 August 2022
  • 9 replies

I'm planning my first Interrail journey and I'm wandering what to do if a train already added to my pass is canceled or delayed on my travel day.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 28 August 2022, 07:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you are asking what to do with your pass then delete the train you are no longer taking and add in whichever one you will take instead. There is no limitation on how much you can change plans in the app/pass.

Thank you very much! That was what I was hoping to hear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF it happens to be a train for which you had to do much effort and pay for the RES-the you have to contact the railway you are at that moment for further assistence. How willing and able they are then to do that seems to differ an enormous lot. Rian is the expert on these ´travellers rights´ but there may be a wide gap between theory and practice.

In most cases you will be entitled to delay compensation in such a case-amount varies with type of pas and maybe very little for longer time continu passes

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you never know what will happen on your travel day, the advice from the experienced travellers is to never connect a journey to your pass until just before boarding the train, when you know that you will travel with the train. Please read more about this below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Thank you very much!

And what to do if I have to take 2 trains on the same travel day and the first one is ok (so I activate the travel day) while the second one is no longer available due to any kind of issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

And what to do if I have to take 2 trains on the same travel day and the first one is ok (so I activate the travel day) while the second one is no longer available due to any kind of issue?

Assuming you have taken the first train you simply deactivate the second train in your trip and add any alternatives.

Treat each train as a single event, only activating it just before you board. 

Then you can adjust your train plans in real time.

Thank you very much

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

In addition to the above information: Please reach out to our customer service team if you were unable to use a reservation due to a delay/cancellation. You can reach us by submitting a request using this link: https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new. Italian and Thalys reservations can usually easily be re-booked at the station.