Solved

Educational and entertaining trip

• 19 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi everybody, I’m new here and completely lost in tone of information. Any help would be appreciated. I’m planning a trip at the end of the March with my two teenagers. We are starting from Trieste and want to go to Basel and back to Trieste with as many interesting stops as it’s possible. Art & science & fun are our goals. I suppose we have 4-5 days. Any recommendations about the tickets/pass or the places to visit?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 19 February 2024, 17:50

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Swiss Transport Museum in Lucerne is really cool (but expensive). Otherwise I can't really help on that aspect…

I'd take a different route to make a bit of a loop :

- Trieste - Milan - Lugano - Lucerne - Basel

- Basel - Chur - Tirano - Milan - Trieste

Or the other way around of course. The Albula & Bernina railways (Chur - Tirano) are truly stunning and you shouldn't miss them. More : https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm

Mandatory 13€ seat reservations for the Trieste (Venice) - Milan Frecciarossa but then full flexibility! Simply log the train, hop on and sit wherever you want.

Thank you! Sure will try Bernina train. However does anyone have enough experience to recommend pass or just a ticket for the trains? Suppose we are going to make a stop in Milan (perhaps overnight there) on our way to Basel and in Venice on our way back. I think there is a museum of Leonardo’s inventions 🤔. Would like to visit it 🥰

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You'll need to do your own calculations for regular tickets versus pass plus reservations. A pass is more flexible and regular tickets can be cheaper, but cheap tickets are often tied to a certain train and you often can’t cancel or change.