Solved

Entered wrong Country of residence by mistake

My friend bought a mobile pass for me as a present, but entered the wrong country of residence by mistake.  I have asked customer service to change but they say it’s not possible.. but everywhere on this forum I see that people did manage to get the country changed.. 

what can I do? I am planning to travel in August so still some time left. I do not have the funds to by a new card myself.. 

icon

Best answer by Nanja 24 August 2022, 14:06

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do you have a paper pass or a mobile pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What was the reason Customer Support gave for not changing the country of residence?

I have a mobile pass, they said it just wasn’t possible.. no particular reason 

Do you have a paper pass or a mobile pass?

Mobile 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ok. Thanks for the answers. I recently got information that it should be possible to change country of residence so I'll check further. 

Is your pass active? If so, you must deactivate it. Otherwise Customer Support can't make any changes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Is your pass exchangeable and refundable? Did Customer Support in that case tell you to exchange your pass?

Ok. Thanks for the answers. I recently got information that it should be possible to change country of residence so I'll check further. 

Is your pass active? If so, you must deactivate it. Otherwise Customer Support can't make any changes. 

It is not active. It was bought in a promotional time so not refundable or exchangeable I think

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is not active. It was bought in a promotional time so not refundable or exchangeable I think

That's true. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just to make it clear.

The country of residence is the country where you live, no matter where you are a citizen. If you are a resident of a country where you not are a citizen, you must be able to show a proof that you are a resident of that country. 

Just to make it clear.

The country of residence is the country where you live, no matter where you are a citizen. If you are a resident of a country where you not are a citizen, you must be able to show a proof that you are a resident of that country. 

It says country of residence is Macedonia.. I live in the Netherlands and am a citizen of the Netherlands… so I need to have it changed. It was a mistake made by the person who bought the mobile pass for me. 

Can anyone help me? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can anyone help me? 

Only Customer Support can help you with this. I suggest you contact Customer Support again through this form and explain the situation once more. 

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Can anyone help me? 

Only Customer Support can help you with this. I suggest you contact Customer Support again through this form and explain the situation once more. 

I have done this today again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can anyone help me? 

I have done this today again 

Ok. Then you will just have to wait for a reply, which probably will take some weeks as Customer Support gives priority to people currently travelling and those who will travel in the near future. 

But, you can start to make reservations if you need even if your pass is not activated. I'll include some tips from the experienced travellers in the Community below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

@AnnaB i still have no reply from customer service.. do you know how to get help for my request? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Claudi.Moll @annie.papadopoulou Can you please help out with this on Monday morning when you are back at work.

@Claudi.Moll @annie.papadopoulou Can you please help out with this on Monday morning when you are back at work.

Thank you 🙏🏻 

Thank you 🙏🏻 

They now reply changing is not possible.. but I see on this forum other people that can get the country changed..

I’m desperate.. so not fair I think! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you 🙏🏻 

They now reply changing is not possible.. but I see on this forum other people that can get the country changed..

I’m desperate.. so not fair I think! 

It will be because it was a promotional pass sold with no refund/no exchange conditions, whereas the ones being changed for other people are regular price with changes/refunds allowed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Unfortunately we can't update your country of residence after you've purchased the Pass (regardless of whether it is a promotional pass or not). This can only be done by ordering a new Pass with the correct country of residence and requesting a refund for your old Pass (a Pass exchange). This is the same for all travellers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Unfortunately we can't update your country of residence after you've purchased the Pass (regardless of whether it is a promotional pass or not). This can only be done by ordering a new Pass with the correct country of residence and requesting a refund for your old Pass (a Pass exchange). This is the same for all travellers. 

In the past, the country of residence was changed for some people, so I read your reply as "we don't want to change”.

In addition, when ordering a pass, the confusing text about what the country of residence must match is still on the Traveller Details page. This has been pointed out a few times now and as long as this text has not been made clearer, you can't always blame people for choosing the wrong country. Therefore, there shouldn't be any costs involved for changing it.