Solved

EURORAIL GLOBAL PASS-Paris, Switzerland and Milan

Badge

Hi,

I’m Shobhana from INDIA. We are group of 9 (5adults+4 children) planning a trip in May. 

can anyone let me know what I could cover with Eurorail global pass?

are we allowed to board Switzerland trains too ( Interlaken to Mt Titles and Jungfraujoch)

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 24 April 2023, 18:09

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Eurail pass covers all trains in Switzerland except mountain peaks like Titlis and Jungfraujoch (discount). It also covers boats on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz.

You get a 25% discount from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch so it is still 150 CHF per adult. You have the same discount with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Titlis -> 25% discount = 72 CHF (50% discount with STP)

For children buy a Junior card for 30 CHF at any train station which covers all Swiss public transportation incl. Jungfraujoch and Titlis

Do not take the 37€ seat reservation fee for the direct TGV to Basel or Zurich. Instead take a TGV to Mulhouse or Strasbourg (10-20€) and then cross the border using a regional train

Compare the prices of regular tickets to Basel (on sncf-connect.com) + Swiss Travel Pass + ticket from the Swiss border (Chiasso/Domodossola) to Milan (trenitalia.com)

Badge

Thank you so much for your brief explanation

But we don’t have Swiss Travel pass.. We took Eurorail pass for all. You want us to buy Swiss Travel pass also ?

Badge

and we decided to stay in Lucerne (5n 6 days)to cover major attractions such as Rhine falls , Lindt chocolate factory in Zurich, Chapel bridge ,Lion Monument, Museum of transport in Lucerne and head to Milan from Lucern . 

can my euro rail pass helps to cover all these? It would be helpful if you can let me know what express I should book like glacier, golden pass 

Thank you so much !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No don't worry your Eurail pass will be valid ! No need to buy a Swiss Travel Pass. Only be aware that you need to pay extra for mountain rides with both passes.

Seat reservations are optional (and not necessary imho) on the Golden Pass route.  Trains run hourly.

Do not take the Glacier Express, it has a 49 CHF mandatory seat reservation. Trains are crowded and full a long time in advance. Instead take regional trains along the same route. They run hourly, are less crowded + have pull-down windows (better for pics).

Edit : use SBB app for all connections. Trains run at least hourly throughout the country, often more frequent. You'll enjoy your trip !

There is a 11€ seat reservation fee for the direct train Lucerne - Milan. Instead you can take any train to Lugano and then the RE to Milan (reservation-free). It doesn't take longer or it's even faster !

Badge

Thank you ..Can I travel all regional trains with Euro rail pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'll answer your other post here.

37€ is the cost of the seat reservation but it is very expensive in my opinion. You can save 9 x 17-27€ by taking a TGV to Strasbourg or Mulhouse. What would be your travel date ?

Taking the TGV to Strasbourg or Mulhouse doesn't take longer, max 30 min more and the saving is big !

Yes you can use all regional trains reservation-free run by the companies covered with the pass (SNCF, DB, SBB and so on) :)

Badge

we are travelling from Paris to Lucerne on June 1st

Badge

Just wanted to know ..Is it a good decision to take Euro rail than taking Swiss travel pass?

can you help me understanding this ?

I had purchased based on my web research . I was not aware of this community. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it is a good idea to take Eurail Pass. Don't worry !

For Paris - Strasbourg or Paris - Mulhouse book here. It can book for 9 persons which is quite rare !

https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

The rest of the journey is reservation-free so simply take any train you'd like from Strasbourg or Mulhouse. You only need to add them to the app before boarding so you get a QR code

This connection would basically be perfect in my opinion :

- Paris-Est - Strasbourg 09:25 - 11:11 9 x 10€

- Strasbourg - Basel SBB 11:21 - 12:40

- Basel SBB - Lucerne 13:03 - 14:05

Badge

Thank you so much for your inputs. we are not coming with any travel agency and trying to explore it ourselves.

we are 5 adults and 4 children.

May 29th Hyderbad to Paris (3N)

Paris- Lucerne -5N(June 1st to June 6th)

We want to cover from Lucerne to below places:

Zurich

Interlaken

Jungfraujoch

Lucerne- Milan on 6th

Milan-Hyderabad( June 10th 2:00pm flight

Can you guide me train details ?

It will be very helpful to us

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Eurail pass is your ticket. The app will give you a QR code and it is the ticket. You'll only need to book seat reservations once.

- Paris - Strasbourg explained see above, book seat reservations on b-europe.com (link)

- Strasbourg - Basel SBB - Lucerne reservation-free. Add the train to the app before boarding and you're ready to board

- no trains in Switzerland require seat reservations. Trains run at least hourly so it's very easy to travel around the country

- 25% discount for Jungfraujoch. Book train tickets in Interlaken when you know that the weather will be good

- Lucerne - Lugano reservation-free. Choose any train you'd like, they run at least hourly

- Lugano - Milan RE train (reservation-free)

Use SBB app to get an idea of all connections available

Badge

Thank you so much.

So regional trains better than TGV in order to save money .

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Exactly :)

You'll still take a TGV for 1h45 until Strasbourg ! But this one only costs 10€

You'll still feel the 320 km/h experience to Strasbourg, don't worry !

Badge

and can you suggest train options to explore Switzerland ?

I mentioned major attractions of Zurich ,Lucerne ,Mt Titlis and Jungfraujoch ?

I read about Glacier express, Chocolate train, cog wheel and golden pass..

Can I ride them with Eurorail ? Mountain trains offers 25% discount 

but can i also explore with regional trains?

Badge

we are 9 people. can i add all pass numbers in same device?

Badge

Hi ..

I gave wrong ID number in Eurorail pass .. how can I edit that ?

Badge

Do I have to deactivate pass and edit details again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If the validity of the pass hasn't started you can deactivate the pass and edit the ID number.

The the advice is to wait with activating the pass until just before boarding the first train of your travel. 

Badge

Our first travel date is on June 1st .. so I can deactivate and edit number and add travel days again ?

ans I didn’t understand advice . Can you explain 

Badge

I got it now .. 

but if we wait until before the travel how can we reserve our journey in app ? You meant we can just do before travel also ? But we need to book seats ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

we are 9 people. can i add all pass numbers in same device?

You can add several passes to the same device, but I don't know if there is a limit for how many passes you can add to the same device. 

Each pass needs its own trip, but you can create one Trip and then just before you start your travel you copy that Trip to more Trips and connect the other passes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I got it now .. 

but if we wait until before the travel how can we reserve our journey in app ? You meant we can just do before travel also ? But we need to book seats ?

Reservations are totally separate from your pass and there is no need to have an active pass to make reservations. No reservation are made in the app. The app only links to other sites where reservations can be made. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The recommendation from the experienced travellers in the community is to only make reservations through the Eurail website if no other options are available. Please read more about that below. 

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process you choose the start day of the validity of the pass. Once the validity has started it can't be changed even if you haven't travelled. The advice is therefore to wait with activating the pass and starting the validity until the first day of your travel as you only can deactivate the pass no later than 23.59 CET on the day before the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you can't deactivate the pass and change the validity. 

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.