Solved

If Rail planner not up to date - Is journey then wrong.

• 10 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Newbie. Not used mobile pass yet.

I have read Interrail APP train time is not always correct/uptodate.

If I plan a trip say paris to berlin and then on day of trip i convert the trip to a journey (i’m not sure exactly how this is done but it seems i just hit a button on the trip to convert it??)  what happens if the interrail app has the train time wrong.

How do i put in the correct time/train if the interrail app has NOT got those details.

Many thanks for your patience.

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 10 September 2022, 17:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

First you need to understand that the Your Trip section of the App is simply a diary of your intentions. You can add or remove trains at will and until you actually add them to your pass they are just notes in a diary, you can delete them and add new ones at will.

So once you know the train you will be catching you can simply add it from the planner to your trip and then just before boarding add it to your pass by moving the slider. If this is the first journey of the day when you click “see ticket “ it creates a QR code for that day, which you present, along with any required reservation details, to a ticket inspector.

Any further trains you take that day need to be added to your trip and then into your pass in the same way before boarding. These use the same QR for that travel day.

If the train you want is not shown in the planner (normally identifiable by a train number) you can add it to your trip manually with as much info as possible - Always use scheduled times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass and create the ticket (QR code), until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

@Yorkie Many thanks. I looked up how to add manually and saved it.

here it is for others.

@Yorkie  Thanks for the info. I have my first train selected in planner and transferred to my trip EUROPE22. There is no slider but I am guessing that is because I have not activated the pass??

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That is correct. You will only see the yellow slider after activating the pass.

@rvdborgt Many Thanks that is reassuring to know. I couldn’t see that info anywhere else which caused my confusion and worries that maybe my app wasn’t working correctly.