Solved

Is mobile pass and obtaining the qr enough?

• 8 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi, I had a question since tomorrow I start my trip in interrail and I have made the reservations through the application.  I bought the 10-day pass, I wanted to know if someone can confirm if with the reservation of the mobile without paying a plus and obtaining the qr is enough to confirm the reservation. I did it all from mobile nothing from the web. Another question in the event that I lost my mobile, is there any possibility of carrying backup bills?

Thanks u so much.

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 8 August 2022, 12:07

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just to clarify:

If you have a reservation document, all you need to do is add the journey in your trip, activate your pass, add then transfer the journey to your travel day in your pass. That generates your QR code for all journeys for that day.

On inspection all you need are the QR code and your separate reservation confirmation.

As far as I know there are then no extras to pay for across the Interrail network, except for a few routes across the alps where there is also a supplement for all passengers (similar to a tourist tax).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The QR code in the app is your ticket. If you will travel with trains that need reservations you will have to make those reservations separate. Just entering a journey to your pass is NOT a reservation. 

As reservations are separate from the app no reservations will show in the app.

If you loose your phone you need to get a new phone where you can download you pass. In that case you need to contact Customer Support so that they can disconnect the pass from your old phone.

The advice from the experienced travellers is to avoid to activate the pass and travel days in advance. If your plans change in a late stage you risk loosing travel days and your outbound/inbound travel days. Please read more in my next reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Does this mean that everything I have booked in the application is of no use to me since I have to book it from the train website? When choosing from the application I put trains that do not need seat reservation

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No, your tickets are generated 100% via the app and the process is as described above

The only thing you need to buy other than your pass are reservations if required. You can buy these from a number of sources as described in earlier posts.

Yes train operator sites are one place to go but there are several more, and you can always go to the ticket office before boarding. In Spain for example it is very difficult (if not impossible) to buy reservations online. 

I have used a mixture of sources for an upcoming trip - Interrails own reservation tool, oebb.at (Austrian railways) and DB bahn (German rail). The latter 2 also offer reservations across much of Europe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What do you exactly mean by "book in the application"?

In the app you can add journeys to your Trip and then later, just before boarding the train you add the relevant journey to your pass and get your ticket. This is not a booking of anything.

There is also links from the app to make reservations. These reservation are neither made in the app nor shown in the app, but reservations made through the Interrail/Eurail website are visible in your Interrail/Eurail account. For the reservation you either get an e-reservation or a printed ticket sent to you. This depends on the train company and on where the reservation is made.

If you let us know exactly what you have done we can give more advice.

What trains (routes) are you planning to take?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Confusion comes likely because of not sufficient command of /en/: booking can have many meanings, so indeed it is useful to ask what exactly is meant with it.