Solved

Looking for seat reservation... but Euro night is offering the complete pass?

• 5 August 2023
  • 9 replies

So I have a Eurail pass and intent to use it from mid-August of this year to mid-September.  I see that (unsurprisingly) I need seat a seat reservation to take a night train from Augsburg Hbf to Budapest-Kelefoeld on Wednesday, September 6.  The Eurail app says that a “Bed in Shared compartment” is 36 euros per person (reasonable). 

But the Eurail website that actually sells the reservations says $715 for a family of four (no where near 36 x 4 = $144).

So I went directly to the rail company operating the train:  “Euro Night”.  The news is a bit better that to get a Couchette carriage Compartment” for all four of us it says 264 euros.  That’s better than $715 of course, but no where in “Euro NIght” did I put my Eurail credentials, so I’m wondering if I am paying for the pass + seats.  In other words, if Euro Night doesn’t ask for Eurail, what good is Eurail?

Or am I missing something and there is a way to get it cheaper by just getting the seats (not the pass)??  I am already regretting a bit having bought the Eurail pass...

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 5 August 2023, 17:09

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Use tickets.oebb.at : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. You'll get the correct prices.

It should cost 196€ for a 4-people couchette compartment (what you're looking for).

156€ for 4 people in a 6-people compartment but you'll probably have to share with other people.

Eurail doesn't offer all options nor is reliable unfortunately.

264€ is the price without a pass so not a big difference... if you'd like to save a pass day you could.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no EuroNight company, since that's just a label or train category. This night train is best booked on tickets.oebb.at (ÖBB) or jegy.mav.hu (MÁV). 4 berths in a 4-person couchette compartment should be 4 x €49 = €196. If you paid €264 then you either booked different accommodation or you booked a regular ticket without a pass.

On both websites, you have to add the pass as a discount and then look for regular tickets. If you don't indicate you have a pass, then the website doesn't know that and sells regular tickets.

Edit: the prices in the rail planner app should only be treated as an indication because they're often not exact and sometimes way off. In this case the couchette is available for €39 in a 6-person compartment. The app still has last year's price, which was €34 (+€2 booking fee if you buy via Eurail)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Mukhammad @Camilo. the bug that the booking page is showing way too high prices when booking for multiple people is now also showing up for this night train. In addition, it claims that a single sleeper is 1st class, which is incorrect for this train (and for many others).

Thank you so much everyone!  Super helpful.

Since Eurail is not always the best option for seat reservations, is there a website where one can out where to buy… in this case it was (ÖBB) or (MÁV).  But if I were to take another long route, say from Brussels to Stockholm or Budapest to Berlin… how would I know where to go?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can have a look here :

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Optional reservations are much cheaper elsewhere than Eurail : usually 3€ per train without booking fee.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You need to search for one way tickets NOT seat only.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Mukhammad @Camilo. the bug that the booking page is showing way too high prices when booking for multiple people is now also showing up for this night train. In addition, it claims that a single sleeper is 1st class, which is incorrect for this train (and for many others).

@rvdborgt the relevant team has already been aware of the incorrect prices shown for some trains. I will add another report for this issue, as well as the classification for sleeper single.

Thank you for letting us know!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello everyone,

I am sorry for the late response. The reservation price for the night train from Augsburg Hbf to Budapest-Kelenföld has been corrected. Even though the class annotation for IRT sleeper single is not yet able to be revised.

I'd advise to purchase the reservations via ÖBB for that train. 

Have a nice day!